20 Fun Things To Do in Cardiff for Adults
Cardiff, the bustling capital city of Wales has a wide range of attractions and events for visitors to enjoy.
Here's our selection of fun activities that we think grown-ups will love:
Bay Island Voyages
Experiences include a fast 15-minute ride around Cardiff Bay, a 30-minute bay and river trip or a 1-hour voyage along the scenic coast.
Alternatively, you could take a trip to Flat Holm Island where you'll have 2-3 hours to explore. You can have a guided tour, see the historic canons and visit the lighthouse, the shop and Wales's most southerly pub - The Gull and Leek.
Treetop Adventure Golf
Both courses are beautifully landscaped with an exotic jungle theme, and both offer a range of tricky challenges.
Exitus Escape Rooms
- Tenovus Virus Tinkerers - You have 60 minutes to save a breakthrough in cancer research before power to the lab runs out - can you do it in time?
- The Curse of Senutep - Tackle the puzzles in the Temple of Senetup to solve the mystery of your grandfather's disappearance and break the curse that has blighted your family ever since.
- Coco Loco - You take over the family chocolate factory - do you have what it takes to make it a sweet success, or will you meet a sticky end?
Doctor Who Cardiff Walking Tour
On this unofficial walking tour, you'll visit the locations where more than 30 memorable scenes were filmed including Donna Noble's wedding, Rose Tyler's Workplace, the theatre where Charles Dickens encountered the spirits and many more.
Brewhouse & Kitchen
Spend the day brewing beer in the on-site microbrewery with the help of a professional brewer.
Breakfast, lunch and plenty of beer are included, as is a 5-litre mini-keg of beer to take home at the end of the day.
Brewhouse & Kitchen also offer a Beer Masterclass - a 2-hour tutored tasting of craft beers brewed on-site, led by a knowledgeable beer specialist, followed by your choice of Academy Meal.
Infinity Trampoline Park is a parkour-inspired freestyle park where grown-ups are welcome.
With 70 interconnected trampolines, balance beams, basketball lanes, foam pits, an airbag, a dodgeball arena and more - there's lots of fun to be had.
Once you've worked up an appetite, why not take a break in the Bounce Back Café? They have everything from Pizza, Paninis and Burgers to cakes, snacks and plenty of hot and cold drinks too.
Cardiff Boat Tours
The hourly water taxi operates between Cardiff Bay and Cardiff City Centre.
The trip includes a fascinating commentary about the history of Cardiff and the many sights you'll pass on your journey including:
- The Wales Millennium Centre
- The Pierhead Building
- St Davids Hotel
- The Norwegian Church
- Cardiff Bay Barrage
- The Principality Stadium
and lots more. There's also a wide array of wildlife to look out for, including Swans, Black Swans, Coots, Cormorant, Heron, Kingfishers and perhaps even a fox.
Ice Skating at Vindico Arena
If you want to improve your skating, there are adult lessons approved by the British Ice Skating Association which cater for everyone from beginners to experienced skaters.
There's a great value six-week lesson package which will improve your skating so you'll have even more fun on the ice.
Vindico Arena also offers group bookings for 20 or more skaters, ideal for team outings or groups of friends.
Fluidity Freerun Academy
Cardiff is home to the largest parkour and freerunning centre in the UK, so if you want to give the sport a try, there's no better place.
Facilities include a sprung floor, a realistic urban environment made from wood, rubber and steel, a bar zone and a foam pit.
Fluidity Freerun Academy offers an 8-week beginners course for adults which is a perfect way to master the fundamentals of parkour with a qualified tutor.
If you're not ready to commit to a course, but you'd like to give parkour a try, Fluidity runs a "pay as you go" drop-in class on Wednesday evenings which is ideal for beginners.
Adventure Rooms Cardiff
They have four exciting escape rooms to choose from:
- Pirates - Find the treasure hidden on the pirate ship and escape with the loot before you're caught and made to walk the plank.
- Mafia - You've been captured by the Mafia - can you escape before your captors return?
- Mad Scientist - You awake to find yourself locked in the mad scientist's lab. You must escape before he returns and makes you part of his experiment.
- Black Queen - Sheltering from a storm in the Black Queen's spooky mansion, the door slams behind you and you find yourself trapped. Can you escape before it's too late?
As well as the usual 60-minute escape room format, you can also opt to play a duel in either the Black Queen or Mafia game rooms. In a duel, your team will be split into two, and you will play a head-to-head battle in two 30-minute rounds.
Cardiff City Sightseeing Bus Tour
Some highlights of the tour include:
- Stop 1 - Cardiff Castle - One of Wales's most popular heritage attractions
- Stop 2 - National Museum of Wales - Free entry and lots to explore
- Stop 5 - Cardiff Bay - Beautiful views and a range of other attractions
You're free to get on and off the bus at any stop throughout the day, so it's an easy way to get to all the attractions you want to visit.
If you're new to climbing, Boulders Cardiff offers "Give It A Go" sessions open to over 18s:
"Give Bouldering A Go" is a one-hour session where an expert instructor will teach you the skills and techniques you'll need to use the bouldering walls safely and independently, any time you like.
If you want to climb higher and learn to use ropes then "Give Climbing A Go" is the session for you. In 80 minutes your instructor will literally "show you the ropes" and how to use them so you can discover the thrill of climbing walls up to 8 metres high!
Delta Force Paintball Cardiff
The Cardiff Paintball Centre has 6 exciting game zones including "A Bridge Too Far" with three bridges, the historic "D-Day Landing" and "Vietcong Village".
Adults are made very welcome, whether it's for a Stag or Hen do, a birthday party, team building or just a fun and memorable day out.
Delta Force aims to provide the best adult paintballing experience available.
The Glee Club Cardiff
The club is conveniently located at Mermaid Quay, Cardiff Bay and there are shows featuring some of the country's top comedy talent 3 nights a week (Thursday to Saturday).
Food is available at all Friday and Saturday shows including fish & chips, burgers, pizzas and more. You can pre-order food and drinks when you book your tickets.
Drinks available include cocktails, a range of red and white wines, a great range of beers, lagers and ciders, and a choice of Prosecco, Champagne and fizz, or a wide selection of soft drinks.
Team Sport Indoor Karting
With 200cc karts that deliver excellent performance even with the weight of an adult driver, and a state-of-the-art 500 metre multi-level track, you're sure to have a blast.
The karts can reach 40mph with a fast driver - can you beat the average lap time - or even threaten the lap record?
TeamSport also offers some tasty food when your racing is finished, including pancakes and waffles, breakfast baps, burgers, pizzas and a range of light bites.
Boom Battle Bar Cardiff
Boom Battle Bar has a great range of fun games including:
- Axe Throwing
- Electric Darts
- American Pool
- Crazier Golf
- Shuffleboard Bounce
- Ping Pong
As you'd expect there's a wide range of drinks on offer. Cocktails include classics like Espresso Martini, Pornstar Martini, Amaretto Sour and Strawberry Daiquiri as well as Signatures like Boom Punch, Fruit Bomb and alcohol-free options like Berry Fizz and Mango & Lychee Cooler.
The bar is also well-stocked with shots, sharers, a huge range of spirits, wines, beers and soft drinks.
Thankfully there's a tasty Boom Bites menu to soak up all that alcohol. Street food includes Pigs in Blankets, Battered Prawn Stars and Chicken Tenders. There's also a choice of Wings, Burgers and sides.
As you can see, Boom Battle Bar has all the ingredients for a great night out.
The inter-connected trampoline area is the main attraction, but there's also a 50m inflatable obstacle course, a 6m drop-slide and lots more.
Buzz Cardiff offers free parking, free WiFi, a café and toilet facilities.
Cardiff Bay Water Activity Centre
The Cardiff Sailing Centre offers a range of adult sailing courses, starting with "RYA Dinghy Level 1: Start Sailing". The two-day course is aimed at absolute beginners and covers launching and recovery, how to sail in all directions and basic sailing techniques.
The Cardiff Rowing Centre also has a range of courses aimed at adults, and starts with "Adult Blades One". This beginner's course is held over 3 Sunday mornings or 3 Wednesday evenings and covers getting afloat safely and how to scull individually and within a crew.
Escape Rooms Cardiff
- The Cardiff Castle: It's 1404 and the English have occupied Cardiff Castle. Can you help Owain Glyndwr re-capture the castle?
- Sherlock 2 - Moriarty's Revenge: This exciting sequel lets you switch to the dark side and help Moriarty get his revenge on Sherlock Holmes.
- Astro Quest: Set in the distant future - an alien life force has taken over your ship. Can you take back control, get rid of the crystal life force and get everyone home alive?
- Z: You find yourself in a zombie hunter's bunker and you only have 60 minutes to re-enable the defences before the zombies find you.
- The Tomb 2 - Curse of the Serpent: Help the archaeologists find the cursed serpent jewel before the sands of time run out.
- Oculus - The Serial Killer: Search the home of the serial killer Oculus to locate his latest victim before it's too late.
- The 13th Floor: Explore the Henderson Hotel - a spooky building with a dark and twisted past. You have one hour to find the owner's fortune and escape from the 13th floor.
Your team can be 2-6 players. Larger groups and team building exercises can be accommodated by playing several rooms - enquire for details.
Play at Pins
- Ten Pin Bowling - 2 lanes available
- Choice of 4 Escape Rooms
- Karaoke - 2 rooms available
- Shuffleboard - can you master this classic game of skill?
- Pool - do you have what it takes to beat your mates?
- Retro Arcade - a range of arcade classics from the 80s
- Air Hockey - fast-moving all-action classic
After 8 pm Play at Pins is over 18s only, so you won't need to worry about being shown-up by a bunch of kids!
Play at Pins also has a fully-stocked bar and takes party bookings for unforgettable stag, hen, corporate, birthday and Christmas parties.
As you can see, the Welsh capital has loads of fun activities for adults to choose from - we hope you have a great time, whatever you choose to do!