Things to do in Westbury, Wiltshire
The Wiltshire town of Westbury is most famous for its White Horse carved into the chalk hillside.
Just above the White Horse is the site of an Iron Age hill fort called Brattan Castle which indicates how long this area has been settled.Bath in an area known for its pretty and historic towns. It is sometimes known as Westbury-under-Plain, being beneath the cliffs of Salisbury Plain.
Westbury has a population of around 14, 000 people and is on the busy A350. The town is centred around the old marketplace and has a magnificent Town Hall built by Sir Manasseh Massey Lopes.
All Saints Church dates back to the 14th century and remarkably has the third heaviest peal of bells in the world!
It also has a copy of the Erasmus Bible, the original Greek text which was used for later translations. The 16th century clock was built by a local blacksmith and has no face.Exeter and South Wales.
Things to Do in Westbury
The Westbury Golf Club was formed in 1973 and offers mature parkland links at the foot of the famous Westbury White Horse.
Take a walk up to the Westbury White Horse, the largest in Wiltshire, which has splendid views from the hill.
Other local attractions include the magnificent estate of Longleat with its safari park, railway and maze.
History of Westbury
The bones of prehistoric pliosaurs have been discovered at clay pits in the area.
One explanation is that it is on the location of an earlier White Horse, now obliterated. Either way, it is an interesting and historic sight.
Westbury was mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086 as having 500 inhabitants.Middle Ages, it thrived on its wool trade and had several woollen mills and clothiers. Although the mills are now closed the Bitham Mill and the Angel Mill on Edward Street are now converted into residences.
In 1877 a hoard of gold coins was discovered during repairs to Bremeridge Farm. They had been buried in the courtyard one on top of the other with no sign of a container.
The Army Officer Selection Board has been located at Leighton House since 1949.
Share this page