Things to do in Llanbedrog, Gwynedd
Present Day Llanbedrog
Llanbedrog has just over 1,000 residents.
It has a beautiful sheltered beach which stretches for four miles at low tide and is currently managed by The National Trust.
This safe and sandy beach is edged with a row of brightly coloured beach huts which can be rented by the week or by the season.
There is a pleasant beach café and an art gallery nearby.
The small parish church of St Pedrog's sits within its small grassy churchyard.
The building dates back to the 13th century in parts and the low square tower was added in 1895.
It is open for visitors at most times and has a beautiful wooden screen and a historic west window.
Next door to the church is the Glyn-Y-Weddw art gallery.
Things to do in Llanbedrog
The Lleyn peninsula is known for its scenic natural beauty with wide sandy beaches divided by rocky headlands.
Sailing, watersports, fishing and golf can all be enjoyed in the area along with walking and mountain biking.
Horse riding is also available and is a good way to appreciate this beautiful area.
Take the popular walk from the end of the beach up the track and over the headland known as Mynydd Tir-Y-Cwmwd which has superb views across Cardigan Bay.
The summit is marked by a sculpture of a tin man.
Llanbedrog is on the Pilgrim's Way which is a footpath linking a number of historic churches in the area.
Some follow it as a religious pilgrimage; others walk it to enjoy the history and architecture of the area.
The nearby coast is littered with castles, many of which are in excellent condition.
Criccieth Castle is a prominent landmark overlooking two beaches.
Harlech Castle is also open for visitors.
The lovely Italianate village of Portmeirion draws many visitors to enjoy its striking architecture and peaceful landscaped grounds.
History of Llanbedrog
One of the oldest buildings in the area is the parish church, first mentioned in 1254.
It is said that Oliver Cromwell used the church to stable his horses.
His troops apparently damaged the mediaeval east window and the remaining shards are now pieced together in the window.
Little is recorded of the village's history although a Dower house was built for Lady Love Jones Parry in 1856.
It is now a local centre for the arts within the impressive Gothic building and has exhibitions of Welsh artwork.
During the 19th century the area was known for its granite quarrying but the quarry closed in 1949.
It was, like many villages in the area, mainly a fishing and farming community.
Tourism started in the early 20th century and soon afterwards the Pwllheli and Llanbedrog tramway was built which transported visitors between the two towns.
It eventually closed as more modern transport took its place and parts of the line have since been washed away.
Share this page