Plas Newydd Country House and Gardens
Plas Newydd, the ancestral home of the Marquess of Anglesey bears witness to the turbulent history of the family.
From their noble beginnings during the time of Henry VIII, the triumphant success of the 1st Marquess at Waterloo, bankruptcy at the turn of the 20th century and finally the revival of the family fortunes in the 1930s.
This magnificent house, redesigned in the 18th century by James Wyatt, was restyled in the 1930s and is famous for its association with Rex Whistler, and contains his exquisite romantic mural and the largest exhibition of his works.
In the military museum see the wooden leg designed for the 1st Marquess after his right leg was blown to bits during the battle - and learn more about the colourful life of the finest cavalryman of his generation.
Set along the Menai Straits, with glorious views across Snowdonia, you can wander the sweeping gardens, packed with plants from all corners of the globe.
Stroll through an Australasian arboretum, Italianate summer terrace and in autumn massed hydrangeas or follow a woodland path leading seamlessly to a beautiful marine walk along the Straits.
In addition there's a family friendly adventure playground and indoor activity room as well as both a licensed tea room and coffee shop, with a wide range of delicious dishes to round off a perfect day out.
- Discover portraits and landscapes in Lord and Lady Anglesey's home
- Explore crafted timber shelters, bird hides and Menai Boat Trips
- Wander in the landscaped grounds and along the marine walk
- Find the rhododendron garden - spectacular in April, May and June
- Children: enjoy playing in the family room and adventure playground
- Learn about the links with HMS Conway
Share this article
Plas Newydd Country House and Gardens Postcode for SatNav: LL61 6DQ