AboutBritain.com Logo

Glenfinnan Monument

NTS Information Centre
PH37 4LT

On 19th August 1745, at the head of Loch Shiel, Prince Charles Edward Stuart raised his Standard, marking the start of his campaign to restore the exiled Stuarts to the throne. From this spot, Bonnie Prince Charlie and his followers made it as far south as Derby before their eventual defeat the following year at Culloden.

The Glenfinnan Monument was designed by the Scottish architect James Gillespie Graham, and was erected in 1815 by Alesander Macdonald of Glenaladale as a tribute to the clansmen who fought and died in the cause of the Stuarts. The story of Glenfinnan and the '45 is told at the Visitor Centre with commentary in six languages about the Jacobite campaign.

Additional Information:

  • Wheelchair access, wheelchair available, toilet
  • Snack bar
  • Shop
  • Picnic site
  • Parking

    Share this article

  • Directions

    Glenfinnan Monument Postcode for SatNav: PH37 4LT


    +44 (0)1397 722 250

    Copyright © 1999-2024 Excelsior Information Systems Ltd. All rights reserved.
    About Us  Press Room  Terms of Use  Privacy  Link to Us  Index  Site Map  Contact Us

    Made with Responsive Grid System by Graham Miller