Things to do in Sugnall, Staffordshire
Sugnall is a hamlet of Saxon origin in the parish of Eccleshall, and is almost all within the Sugnall Estate. Topographically it is part of the attractive headwaters of the River Sow, with small valleys, pools, enclosed fields and scattered woods, and is popular with walkers and horse riders.
The first Sugnall Hall was a Jacobean mansion, replaced by a Georgian house about 1780, itself demolished in 1880. The 2-acre walled kitchen garden was built in 1737, and was restored as a kitchen garden from 2006. The public, but not dogs, may enter the walls, where there is a tea room and shop, and guided tours of the working garden are offered on Sundays. The kitchen garden produce is sold as salads, jams, soups, etc through the tea room. The Estate offers walks though its private woods past the manorial fishponds.
The nearest shop is the at the petrol filling station in Croxton, 1 mile to the NW along the main road, and there is the attractive market town of Eccleshall 2 1/2 miles to the SE.
Description by Dr David Jacques