AboutBritain.com Logo

Lowestoft & East Suffolk Maritime Museum

Whapload Road
NR32 1XG

We are a private museum of the Lowestoft and East Suffolk Maritime Society, which is a registered charity. The Museum is maintained and manned by members of the society on a voluntary basis. The premises are grant aided by Waveney District Council.

The museum was established in 1968 and extended in 1978 - the extension being opened by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh. A further extension was added in 1980.

The museum specialises in the history of the Lowestoft fishing fleet and early commercial activities, from early days of sail, to steam through to modern diesel vessels. Methods of fishing are also recorded, namely trawling, and the no longer practised art of herring driftnet fishing. Also depicted is the town's wartime association with the Royal Navy, together with a fine exhibition of the evolution of lifeboats. A full scale replica of the aft cabin of a steam drifter showing the crews quarters is also on display. There is a fine picture gallery and an interesting collection of shipwright's and coopers tools.

The museum attendants are ex-seamen and others interested in the history of the port of Lowestoft, and will be delighted to answer any questions you may have about the museum and its exhibits.

School groups are particularly welcome and teachers may like to avail themselves of our special "Educational Pack" - a series of papers prepared for classroom use following a visit to the Museum. Further information can be obtained from the Secretary.

Share this article

More Pictures


Under the Lighthouse on Whaplode Road in Sparrow's Nest Park.

Lowestoft & East Suffolk Maritime Museum Postcode for SatNav: NR32 1XG


+44 (0)1502 561 963

Copyright © 1999-2024 Excelsior Information Systems Ltd. All rights reserved.
About Us  Press Room  Terms of Use  Privacy  Link to Us  Index  Site Map  Contact Us

Made with Responsive Grid System by Graham Miller