Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens
Castle Bromwich Hall and Gardens were built in 1599 by Sir Edward Devereux who was MP for Tamworth. In 1657, the estate was purchased by Sir John Bridgeman I and later extended by his son Sir John Bridgeman II to its present boundaries. The Gardens had, for many decades, lain sadly neglected, lost beneath a tangled mass of vegetation. To those who first saw them in 1984 during investigations for planning permission, they were still beautiful, despite all the neglect and disorder. The mysteries of a romantic garden still lingered within the crumbling walls. Archaeologists were quickly ushered in and began their digging. With much excitement, it soon became apparent that a garden of national importance needed to be brought back from the brink of complete desolation. These gardens of some 10 acres, are a rare survival of formal garden design of the early 18th Century when gardens were an oasis of elegance and beauty, far removed from the hazardous and hostile world beyond their walls
Coffee shop - coffee, tea & light refreshments - luncheon and supper parties by arrangement
Gift shop and plant stall
Disabled Facilities - access around the gardens is via part gravel/part grass; ramp to gift and coffee shop
Organised Visits - guided tours and lectures by special arrangement, please telephone
Events - please telephone for details.These details are subject to change. We recommend that you visit the Web Site for current details.
The Garden TodayThe gardens were created by some of the most outstanding artists, craftsmen and designers of their times, and major restoration of the original Green House, Summer House and surrounding walls has brought them back to life today. The 19th Century Holly Maze has been restored and the South Kitchen Garden to a 1728 design by Batty Langley has been created. Classical and patterned parterres are to be seen at the end of the Holly Walk. The Upper wilderness contrasts in style to the Lower Wilderness with mature trees underplanted with many interesting period plants.Additional Information:
Share this article
5 miles East of Birmingham City Centre and 1 mile from junction 5 of the M6 (exit Northbound only). Southbound visitors leaving M6 at junction follow A38 & A452. The Gardens are well signposted locally - look out for the brown signs. Free parking.
Please visit Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens' web site for details of bus services.
Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens Postcode for SatNav: B36 9BT