AboutBritain.com Logo

Shirehall Museum

Common Place
NR22 6BP

Walsingham Shirehall was built in the early 16th century and was used as a hostel for important visitors to the adjacent Augustinian Priory. In the 1770s it was converted into the Shirehall for the quarter sessions, which were held there from from1778 until 1861. The petty sessions continued until 1971.

The courtroom has survived unaltered since it was last used and is now part of the hands-on museum, which includes a comprehensive display on Walsingham as a place of pilgrimage since 1061, as well as local artefacts and photographs.

General Information:

  • Well stocked shop
  • Tourist Information Centre
  • Guided Tours of Walsingham from Information Centre

Share this article


From Fakenham B1105 (approx 4 miles).
From Wells B1105 (approx 4 miles).
From King's Lynn A148, B1105 (approx 23 miles).
From Norwich A1067 (approx 27 miles).

Shirehall Museum Postcode for SatNav: NR22 6BP


+44 (0)1328 820 510
+44 (0)1328 820 259

Copyright © 1999-2022 Excelsior Information Systems Ltd. All rights reserved.
About Us  Press Room  Terms of Use  Privacy  Link to Us  Index  Site Map  Contact Us

Made with Responsive Grid System by Graham Miller