Gawthorpe Hall was built between 1600 and 1605 for the Shuttleworth family, who by then had been at Gawthorpe for over 200 years.
The family owned Gawthorpe until 1970, when the house and grounds were given to the National Trust. It is now leased to Lancashire County Council.
Between 1850 and 1852 the Hall was restored "in a sympathetic Elizabethan style" for Sir James Shuttleworth, by leading architect Sir Charles Barry, who also designed the Houses of Parliament.
The Hall that you see today shows Barry's designs recreated in the principal rooms.
Rachel Kay-Shuttleworth Collections
The Hon. Rachel Kay-Shuttleworth (1886-1967) was the last member of the family to live at Gawthorpe and it was here that she formed thenationally important textile collection.
The Hon. Rachel was particularly skilled in the art of embroidery and lacemaking, and was eager to impart her immense knowledge to others through the medium of examples collected in her lifetime.
These were not intended as museum pieces but as aids to practical study. The collections are of interest to everyone, containing historical and contemporary textiles and needlework from a variety of global cultures.
Opportunities for private study can be arranged by the Trustees of the Collections at the Hall by telephoning 01282 773 963.
Lancashire County Museum service to Schools
Role play for Key Stage Two children. Through role play and "hands-on" sessions children learn about the work of the lowly servant while gaining an insight into how a grand Victorian house was organised and run.
These sessions are available from 10.00am each day during normal term time. For further information and booking form please telephone.
- Stables Tea Room
- Full range of events throughout the year
- Wooded, riverside setting
- Disabled visitors - limited access, cars may bring disabled passengers to front door of Hall.
- Visitors welcome with assistance dogs
- Toilets in Courtyard and include facilities for the disabled
Share this article
Leave M65 ay Jnt 8 or 10 and follow signs to Padiham, A671.
Gawthorpe Hall Postcode for SatNav: BB12 8UA