Things to do in Tilehurst, Berkshire
Tilehurst is a suburb of Reading in Berkshire, bounded by the River Thames in the North, Sulham woods to the west and the A4 to the south. The boundary between Tilehurst and Reading to the east is less well defined but is generally thought to be Prospect Park.
Before Reading expanded westwards, Tilehurst or Tygelhurst used to be a separate village and locals still refer to the area at the top of the hill as 'the village'. As the name suggests, the clay in the area was perfect for pottery and the making of tiles. It was this industry which led to the growth of the village, especially in the 19th Century. Nowadays Tilehurst is mainly a residential area offering a wide choice of housing.
Tilehurst has excellent communication links being close to Junction 12 of the M4 and having its own railway station with through trains to London and Oxford. National Bus Services stop at Calcot, close to Junction 12.
Sports: Reading Town Football Club play in the north of Tilehurst at Scours Lane. One of the best golf courses in Berkshire, Calcot Park Golf Club, can be found on the A4 in the south of Tilehurst. Coarse Fishing, with the appropriate permit, can be undertaken on the River Thames & Kennett.
Notable buildings include:
Tilehurst Water Tower - situated at the highest point of Tilehurst - can be seen from miles around and is regarded as the most recognisable 'symbol' of Tilehurst.
Calcot Mansion, in the grounds of the Calcot Golf Club, was built in 1755. It is a splendid, seven bay, two storey red brick house with a beautiful plastered facade and portico. The surrounding park is now the Golf Course and is still home to herds of fallow deer.
St Michaels Church, in the Routh Lane Conservation Area, dates in part from the late 13th century. It contains 16th century brasses - the oldest in Berkshire. The church also contains the elaborate tomb of Peter Vanlore, a Dutch merchant and banker, who bought the manor of Tilehurst in 1604.
Prospect Park Mansion, a Regency white stuccoed mansion, now a restaurant, is a Registered Grade II listed building in the centre of Prospect Park.
Description by 'Tilehurst' Pete
Share this page