Main Street Linby
Linby is a village of rural charm located just a few miles north of the bustling City of Nottingham. It was once home to a thriving colliery between 1873 and 1988, although no evidence of it remains today other than the Linby Colliery football club and a discreet memorial in the form of a small monument noting its existence.
Top Cross Linby Village
The origins of the village itself go back much further - Linby is listed in the Doomsday book, and the date on one of the two village crosses is shown as 1663.
The Old Mill Linby
Local rumour has it that Linby was responsible for the origin of the pancake which, it is said, was first made there to honour the women of the village who defeated Danish invaders after their husbands had fled.
Today, Linby is pretty and idyllic. Great effort has been expended in preserving its condition and character from the listed buildings and old fashioned sign post to the cast iron street lighting.
National Cycle Route Linby
It has also received several awards including the title of Nottinghamshire's Best Kept Village for 1997.
The church of St Michael's was originally built in the 1300s with later additions.
It has examples of Norman architecture and a memorial inside dated 1557.
On the opposite side of the main street can be found the Horse and Groom - an attractive public house and former coaching inn with several individual and quaint small rooms.
The Horse and Groom Linby
It's a popular venue in the summer months with outdoor seating and brightly coloured hanging baskets. There is also a local heritage centre with limited opening nearby.
St Michael's Church Linby
An unusual feature of the main street is that it is flanked on both sides by small streams known as the 'Linby Docks'. The nearby Linby Trail takes you on foot, or by bicycle as it forms part of the National Cycle route 6, to the neighbouring village of Newstead and Newstead Abbey the former home of Lord Byron.
Description by Martin Stevenson