Things to do in Aysgarth, North Yorkshire
The village is within the Yorkshire Dales National Park, about 16 miles from the market town of Richmond.
It is named after the nearby Aysgarth Falls, a series of waterfalls on the River Ure.
In the last census of 2001, Aysgarth was recorded as having 197 residents in 88 households, and little seems to have changed since.
It remains a quiet and pretty village with its stone cottages and lovely 16th-century bridge over the River Ure.17th-century coaching inn. It is now a Grade II listed building.
Another Grade II listed building in Aysgarth is the extensive St Andrew's Church, situated near the head of the Falls. It has some fine historic treasures inside.
Things to do in Aysgarth
Aysgarth Falls, one of the most famous sights in Wensleydale, provides scenic walks through the wooded valley with plenty of opportunities to see wildlife and masses of wildflowers.
The old Trinity Church in Richmond is worth visiting, but not for the usual reasons.Richmondshire Museum and includes the actual set used in the making of the TV series All Creatures Great and Small.
It also has a Lead Mining Gallery, so there is something for everyone.
The Wensleydale Creamery should be on every visitor's list, to sample the ice cream.
The nearby Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden is a place for quiet solitude, while Harrogate and Knaresborough provide a touch of Yorkshire class and culture.
History of Aysgarth
St Andrews Church is of particular historic interest. It was rebuilt in 1536 on the site of an earlier church and was restored again in 1866.
Many of the interior fittings, including the rood screen and abbot's stall, are from Jervaulx Abbey which was destroyed under the Dissolution of Monasteries Act of 1536.
Above the southeast door is a 14th-century coffin lid, reused in the rebuilding. It is decorated with an engraved hunting horn and was probably the coffin of a verderer or local forester.
Until recently part of a 10th century Saxon Cross marked this site, which was either a local preaching place or the site of a former church. The cross was stolen in 1996.
Share this page