AboutBritain.com Logo

Allerford Museum

TA24 8HN

The Rural Life Museum is housed in the old Village School leased from the National Trust. It was a school from 1821 to 1981 and opened as the Rural Life Museum in 1983. The collection is owned and administered by a Charitable Trust. The exhibits are displayed in three rooms, the largest containing domestic, farm and local industry equipment from a hundred years ago. The New Room has a "theme" collection changed annually.

The Victorian Schoolroom has original desks and forms, together with slates, textbooks, books and toys of the period. There are Victorian era clothes for the children making educational visits and in which individual children can dress up.

Behind the school in the river-side gardens are larger exhibits, a cobblers workshop and a picnic area. The playground is used by school parties for organised activities with stilts and hoops and the old singing games. Morning educational visits covering the Victorian aspect of the National Curriculum are taken by experienced teachers and guides.

There is a small shop for the purchase of souvenirs and replica Victorian toys.

Schools and larger parties catered for by
prior arrangement.

Share this article


Off the A39 between Porlock (2kms) and Minehead (8kms).

Allerford Museum Postcode for SatNav: TA24 8HN


+44 (0)1643 862 529

Copyright © 1999-2024 Excelsior Information Systems Ltd. All rights reserved.
About Us  Press Room  Terms of Use  Privacy  Link to Us  Index  Site Map  Contact Us

Made with Responsive Grid System by Graham Miller