Things to do in Great Holland, Essex
Great Holland is a quiet, pleasant village situated between Frinton and Clacton with the sea visible in the distance.
The offshore wind farm at Gunfleet Sands sandbank is now clearly visible.
Frinton is two miles away and Clacton is approximately six miles.
It is easily reached by paths from the sea wall, running between Frinton and Clacton and walkers or bike riders frequently pass through.
The centre of the village seems to have changed fairly little since the times of 1920s and 30s and the Ship Inn is still a popular spot providing food and drink.
However, since that time a number of shops and facilities including a bakery, dairy, bicycle repairs and an antique shop have disappeared although the character of the village remains.
During World War Two the village was bombed and the village school had to be relocated, probably owing to its proximity to the sea.
Today there is still a post office, village hall and church hall providing activities or open for hire.
All Saints Church
The All Saints Church stands prominent in Great Holland and the pre-Tudor brick building dates back to the early fifteenth century and is worth a visit.
The tower was built in 1413-1420 and is one of the oldest brick towers in Essex.
Inside the church, the roof is of mainly wooden construction and quite different in design and character from the church of St Mary at Frinton or the Norman churches at Great and Little Clacton.
The church is in good order although there is a need for restoration and the church is in the process of raising money for repairs.
Description by Philip Morgan
Share this page