The complex of buildings in St. Marygate served Ripon as the House of Correction for vagrants (1686-1816), as the Liberty Prison (1816-1878) and as the Police Station (1887-1956). The Museum which first opened in 1984, reopened in 2004 following a complete refurbishment.
Sit in a prison cell, hear the door slam shut and imagine the harsh conditions of Victorian prison regimes. Try on prison uniforms, imagine the horror of being in the pillory, strapped in a restraint chair or hanging in chains. Turn the crank, carry out shot drill or work the treadmill.
The history of policing is traced through the displays of uniforms and artefacts from the Trust's extensive collections of police memorabilia.
Share this article