AboutBritain.com Logo

Lamport Hall


Lamport Hall was the home of the Isham family for over four centuries. During the time of the Commonwealth the Hall was developed from a Tudor manor and is now best known for its classical frontage, started by John Webb in 1655 and completed in the eighteenth century to the design of Francis Smith of Warwick.

In addition to its fine rooms, including a superb library, the Hall contains a wealth of outstanding furniture, books and paintings collected by the Ishams, many during the third Baronet's Grand Tour of Europe in the 1670s.

Gardens

The Hall is set in tranquil gardens and a spacious park. Of the gardens originally laid out in 1655 by Gilbert Clarke, the surrounding banks are several sycamores and cedars which were planted in the 1820s by Mary Isham, a redoubtable Irish lady who did much of the planting in the surrounding parkland.

Sir Charles Isham the son of Mary Isham, inherited his mother's love of gardening. He is responsible for the present day appearance with a small Italian garden and the remarkable rock garden built close to the Hall and rising like a ruin 24 feet tall. In the time of Sir Charles this was peopled by figures, undoubtedly the first garden gnomes in England.

Also on site: agricultural museum, tea room. Free parking, disabled access to ground floor and gardens. Telephone for events leaflet.





Share this article




Directions

sat nav postcode NN6 9EZ

Lamport Hall Postcode for SatNav: NN6 9EZ

Contact

 
Tel:
+44 (0)1604 686 272
Fax:
+44 (0)1604 686 224
Email:
Web:


Copyright © 1999-2021 Excelsior Information Systems Ltd. All rights reserved.
About Us  Press Room  Terms of Use  Privacy  Link to Us  Index  Site Map  Contact Us

Made with Responsive Grid System by Graham Miller