AboutBritain.com Logo

Kelmscott Manor


Kelmscott Manor, a grade 1 listed Tudor farmhouse adjacent to the River Thames, was the summer home of William Morris from 1871 until his death in 1896. Morris loved the house as a work of true craftsmanship, totally unspoilt and unaltered, and in harmony with the village and the surrounding countryside.

William Morris considered it so natural in its setting as to be almost organic, it looked to him as if it had 'grown up out of the soil'; and with 'quaint garrets amongst great timbers of the roof where of old times the tillers and herdsmen slept'.

The house contains an outstanding collection of the possessions and work of Morris and his associates, including furniture, original textiles, carpets and ceramics.

The Manor is surrounded by beautiful gardens with barns, dovecote, a meadow and a stream. The garden was a constant source of inspiration to Morris and the images are reflected in his textile and wallpaper designs.

William Morris called the village of Kelmscott 'a heaven on earth'. His delight in its discovery can still be felt by the visitor today. The Manor is the most evocative of all the houses associated with William Morris.

Share this article


Approx. 3 miles from Lechlade, signposted from the A417 & A4095. On entering the village follow signs to the Manor.

Car park is approximately 10 minutes' walk from the Manor. Drop-off point and reserved parking for disabled visitors at the Manor.

Kelmscott Manor Postcode for SatNav: GL7 3HJ


+44 (0)1367 252 486 Enquiries & Bookings
+44 (0)1367 253 348 (Administration)
+44 (0)1367 253 754

Copyright © 1999-2022 Excelsior Information Systems Ltd. All rights reserved.
About Us  Press Room  Terms of Use  Privacy  Link to Us  Index  Site Map  Contact Us

Made with Responsive Grid System by Graham Miller