Caerhays Castle Gardens
Gardens change as a result of the foibles of nature and as a result of the expansionist plans of the owners. In the first category come gales, drought, frost, snow and flooding as well as honey fungus, elm disease and other major nuisances such as falling trees which can drop their branches even on windless days.
Quiet expansion is going on in the main garden as well two off woods and new areas are being taken in. These should become available to the public as years go by.
New plants are being tried out all the time. Caerhays has now been designated as holders of a National Collection of Magnolias by the NCCPG, and as a result, the numbers of new magnolias growing here will greatly increase.
The collection of podocarpus is also being extended. The number of different maples has also been greatly increased in recent years and may provide Caerhays with worthwhile autumn colour as the years go on.
The rhododendron collection, on which the garden here was originally based, has not been neglected and many of the new species that have been arriving in the country as a result of recent expeditions to the Far East are being quietly acclimatised to the Cornish conditions. Since 1955 a large number of new camellias from America, Australia and New Zealand have been tried out and are flourishing.
Visitors to the garden in March and April will find daffodils flowering in profusion in the woods; some are species, some are early old varieties and some are the new varieties hybridised by John Charles Williams (1880-1939)
The CastleThe house is opened for a short spell in the Spring. Firstly it is a home. Built between 1802 and 1840 by John Nash for the Trevanion family.
The Williams family bought the property in 1853 in a state of disrepair following the bankruptcy of the Trevanions. The contents show the ceaseless accumulations of its residents over the past 140 years.
The geography of the house makes it impossible to give unlimited tours to large numbers of people at any one time so the size of each party is restricted to 12-15 people.
There are collections on display and the displays alter year by year but include Victorian Jugs, the crockery used for running the House (19th century Houses were very labour intensive), the Bric-a-Brac of an Edwardian Billiard Room and much more.
Share this article
From Truro First turning right off the A390 after Grampound (signposted to Mevagissey) then follow signposts to Caerhays.
From St Austell First turning after the end of Sticker by-pass (signposted to Tregony - B3287) then follow signposts to Caerhays.
From Mevagissey Head for Gorran Churchtown and look for signpost to Caerhays at Gorran High Lanes.
From St Mawes & King Harry Ferry Take right turning from A3078 (signposted to Veryan) and next turning left signposted to Caerhays.
Caerhays Castle Gardens Postcode for SatNav: PL26 6LY