Things to do in Maidford, Northamptonshire
Maidford is a small, compact village on the slopes of a shallow upland valley on the former main road between Northampton and Banbury and is designated as a conservation village.
The entrance to the village from the main road has an almost wooded character due to the number of mature trees and hedges near the road.
On the right hand side is the "Old Rectory" where a number of medieval fish ponds are visible, but the core of the village is located on the opposite side of the road.
It consists of a rectangular arrangement of lanes with Chapel Lane and King Street on its long sides flanked by ironstone buildings.
The majority of the older buildings in Maidford are built of the local coursed ironstone with steeply pitched roofs in slate or tile, but there are a few examples of 19th century red brick, notably the Wesleyan Chapel of 1858.
There is also a small red brick development of post-war semi-detached houses are evenly spaced around a short cul-de-sac.
Maidford now survives primarily as a commuter village with a small village hall (formerly it's school) but without shop or public house or garage... but it still has a traditional "Red Telephone Box"
Description by Alan Mitchell of maidfordvillage.co.uk
Share this page