This castle, one of the most beautiful in Royal Deeside, was owned by the Irvine family of Drum for 653 years. It is very special because it combines a medieval keep, a Jacobean mansion house and a later Victorian extension. The keep is one of the three oldest tower houses in Scotland, probably dating from 1290.
The first-floor room, originally the Great Hall, now houses an impressive library. Superb furniture and paintings provide a visual feast for visitors. The atmospheric tearoom is in the original service area of the castle. Nearby, the shop has a wide selection of souvenirs and gifts.
Gardens and Grounds
In 1644 soldiers destroyed the gardens at Drum, but today you can enjoy the Garden of Historic Roses, created over the last few years-especially delightful in June and July. In the castle grounds, look for the intriguing 16th century chapel, or enjoy one of the lovely country walks through the historic Old Wood of Drum. For the younger visitor there is an excellent children's play area.
Share this article