Arley Hall, with its ancient history and over 100 acres of gardens and parkland, has been owned and run by the same family for more than 500 years. The original hall was built by Piers Warburton in 1486 and the cruck barn and other outbuildings date from that period. The present hall and chapel were built by Rowland Egerton - Warburton between 1832 and 1845 in the Victorian - Jacobean style. Each of the main rooms in the Hall has an individual character and charm. There is fine plaster work and panelling, a magnificent library and historic family furniture, pictures and porcelain.
Overlooking beautiful parkland and providing great variety of style and design, the gardens rank amongst the finest in the country. Features include the double herbaceous border laid out in 1846, the pleached lime avenue, the avenue of Quercus Ilex shaped like giant cylinders and fine yew hedges as well as a good collection of shrub roses, rhododendrons and azaleas, walled gardens and a herb garden. The Grove has been developed over the past twenty years or so as an informal garden with spring bulbs, rhododendrons, azaleas and other flowering shrubs, herbaceous plants and exotic trees, the Grove provides a pleasing contrast to the more formal design of the main gardens. There is an excellent plant nursery which offers a wide selection of herbaceous and other plants, many of which are produced from those growing in the gardens at Arley. Lunches, teas and light refreshments can be enjoyed in a beautifully converted 16th century
barn. The gift shop opposite the Tudor barn, has a wide variety of attractive gifts and souvenirs.
Share this article