We're Passionate About Britain!
We are inspired to create AboutBritain.com by the beauty of the British Countryside, the magnificence of British Castles and Stately Homes, the fascinating history on show in British Museums, and the atmosphere and diversity of our villages, towns and cities.
Britain is a fantastic place for days out, short breaks and holidays - it is fascinating, beautiful, exciting, fun (and yes, occasionally cold and wet too - but those of us who love Britain can even forgive the weather!)
At AboutBritain.com our team of British travel and leisure experts are dedicated to providing an unrivalled source of information, entertainment and inspiration.
We're excited about showcasing the best that Britain has to offer - the thousands of wonderful places to visit and fantastic things to see and do throughout our amazing country.
What is AboutBritain.com?
At AboutBritain.com we are creating the definitive online resource for you to plan a day out, short break or holiday in Great Britain, whether you live here, or are travelling from overseas. We are building an unparalleled source of information, which is as enjoyable to browse as it is informative - a resource that you can read for pleasure as well as for research.
Some tourism sites claim to list a zillion tourist attractions, but you soon find they are little more than a list of names and addresses. AboutBritain.com has more to offer: Most of the pages on the site have detailed descriptions and high-quality photographs, as well as contact details, admission charges, directions and maps where appropriate. We also highlight other places of interest nearby, and have thousands of accommodation options for you to choose from.
AboutBritain.com went live on 24th May 1999 after 6 months of design and development. Work to expand and enhance the site has continued ever since and AboutBritain.com now incorporates articles on thousands of tourist attractions, towns and villages, holiday cottages, B&Bs and lots more.
Unlike many other tourism websites, AboutBritain.com is completely independent, and receives no public funding whatsoever.
Our Guiding Principles
For more than a decade, AboutBritain.com has been one of the most popular British Tourism sites on the web - millions of people visit this site every year.
We know they work hard, and they rely on us to help them make the most of their valuable family and leisure time. It's a responsibility we take very seriously - and so we have devised a set of guiding principles to help us do our best work:
We aim to publish content that is:
- Exceptional We aim to make each page the very best it can be - and a better resource for visitors than any other page on the same subject.
- Informative We want our visitors to feel well-informed after reading one of our pages, so we avoid creating thousands of pages with just the addresses of tourist attractions as many competing sites do. Most of our pages contain detailed information and often several high-quality photographs too.
- Accurate It's important that you can trust the information you find on our site - so our team work very hard on research and fact-checking to ensure that everything we publish is correct at the time of publication, and is kept up to date thereafter.
- Beautiful Wherever you look in Britain, there's no shortage of beautiful places to marvel at, from iconic buildings to amazing landscapes and so much more. We aim to reflect that beauty in this website, with a simple design and thousands of stunning photographs for you to enjoy.
- Fun We believe that using AboutBritain.com to plan your next day out or holiday should be the next best thing to actually being there. We try to make the site as easy and fun to use as possible.
These are our guiding principles - we believe they help us to build a website that you will love visiting and want to come back to time and time again, and (hopefully) recommend to your friends too!
Of course we're only human - and we're a small team looking after a huge website - so if you find that any of our pages fall short of your expectations in any way, please let us know. We really do value your feedback.
Who's Behind AboutBritain.com?
Co-Founders & Directors: Quenton Fyfe & Clare Ivatt
AboutBritain.com is published by Excelsior Information Systems Ltd. We established Excelsior in 1991 as a software company, and we now specialise in Internet-related technologies, and online publishing.
Excelsior is a family business - and AboutBritain.com was developed by a core team of just 6 people. We make good use of the Internet to allow everyone to collaborate while enjoying the benefits of flexible working from their homes at various locations throughout the UK.
We now run the company from the peaceful surroundings of our home in the Scottish Borders.
Please feel free to contact us.