Shipton Hall was built around 1587 by Richard Lutwyche to replace a much older, black and white, timbered house which was destroyed by fire earlier in the 16th century. Richard Lutwyche lived at a neighbouring manor, Lutwyche Hall, and it is said that he gave Shipton as a dowry when his daughter Elizabeth married Thomas Mytton. Shipton remained in the Mytton family for the next 300 years.
The house has been described as "an exquisite specimen of Elizabethan architecture set in a quaint old fashioned garden, the whole forming a picture which, as regards both form and colour, satisfies the artistic sense of even the most fastidious".
The mellow stone of the Hall and its Georgian Stable Block blends perfectly with the beautiful countryside of Shropshire's Covedale. Inside the house there is an interesting combination of elegant Georgian rococo décor with some beautiful Tudor panelling and timberwork. The latter illustrates how the house was constructed and the transition from black and white timbers to stone and brick built houses. Many of the medieval timbers from the older manor house and some of the doors survive in Shipton today.
Items of particular interest inside the house are the plasterwork of the ceilings and chimney pieces, some of which are the work of Thomas F Pritchard. The panelling of the Queen's Room and the old "Solar" and the glazing of the windows, many of which retain the original leaded diamond panes, are from the 16th century and 17th century.
In the grounds of Shipton Hall is The Dovecote, the privilege of keeping a dovecote could only granted to Lords of the Manor by Royal Charter. This one is possibly 13th century and dates from the time of the earlier manor house.
St James' Church. The foundations of this beautiful small Parish Church date back to Saxon times with Norman additions. In 1589 the Chancel was "rebuilded from the grounde" by John Lutwyche - son of Richard who built the Hall.
|Show map of Shipton Hall...|
Shipton Hall Postcode for SatNav: TF13 6JZ
|Tel:||+44 (0)1746 785 225|
|Fax:||+44 (0)1746 785 125|