AboutBritain.com Logo

Things to do in Burgh le Marsh, Lincolnshire

Dobson's Mill, Burgh le Marsh © Sylvia Blight

Burgh le Marsh is a small town 5 miles from Skegness, but is affectionately regarded by its residents as "The Village". Burgh le Marsh was granted town status by King Henry IV's royal charter in 1401; the 600th anniversary was celebrated a little belatedly on 1st May 2004.

Burgh le Marsh's original charter had been missing for many years, but with the help of BBC Radio Lincolnshire working in partnership with Councillor Jim Dodsworth a copy was obtained from Kew which was written in old French. Councillor John Panton transcribed the document into English and both the original version and the transcribed version have been framed and are now displayed in the Council Chambers.

The church of St Peter & St Paul is a significant landmark in Burgh le Marsh, with its elegant buttressed and pinnacled tower which is built of Portland Stone. The clock face has quite a sinister message of "Watch and Pray, For Ye Know Not When the Time Is"

Father Terry Steele became Rural Dean on 24th July 2005. The last Burgh vicar to hold this office was Father Kenneth Richardson during the period 1939-1950.

Dobson's mill, built by Sam Oxley of Alford in about 1813 is Burgh's other dominant landmark. It has five storeys and has unusual left-handed sails which means the sails rotate clockwise. It contains much of its original equipment and there is a milling museum which includes a Blackstone Diesel engine.

Mill volunteers have furnished an outbuilding as The Granary Tearoom which received its 1000th adult visitor in September 2005 and local author, Margaret Dickinson, was a special guest at the mill's open day on Saturday 17th September 2005.

An ancient feature of Burgh is the tumulus, Cock Hill - a Saxon burial site. Roman pottery, coins, and clay pipes have been excavated here.

To the traveler driving through Burgh le Marsh, it is just a fleeting part of the scenery and at first impression would be judged as a pleasant, quiet village, but Burgh has over forty organisations catering for all interests and age groups.

The town enjoys cultural programmes of entertainment organized by The Burgh Forward Group which has included The Mozart Players, The Louth Male Voice Choir, The Caistor Male Voice Choir, Da Capo Lincolnshire folk group, James And Mayo mandolin players as well as children's entertainment of The Wind and The Willows and Alex and The Warrior.

The annual carnival held in July has become a big event in Burgh and spin-off events of auctions are held in spring and autumn to raise funds for the carnival. Burgh le Marsh placed second in Calor's Best Lincolnshire Village of the Year competition.

Description by Sylvia Blight

Share this page




Images of Burgh le Marsh


The Old Library Gallery, Burgh le Marsh © Sylvia Blight
Church View from High St. Burgh le Marsh © Sylvia Blight
Burgh Library, Burgh le Marsh © Sylvia Blight
St Peter & St Paul's Church, Burgh le Marsh © Father Terry Steele



* Distances shown are in a direct line. Distances by road will be longer.
Copyright © 1999-2019 Excelsior Information Systems Ltd. All rights reserved.
About Us  Press Room  Terms of Use  Privacy  Link to Us  Index  Site Map  Contact Us

Made with Responsive Grid System by Graham Miller