AboutBritain.com Forums
    Home -  Self Catering -  Bed and Breakfast -  Campsites -  Regions
    Attractions -  Towns -  Counties -  What's Near You -  Articles
    Photo Gallery -  Videos -  British Desktops

AboutBritain.com Forums

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

A cineastic gem

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Main] >> General Chat >> A cineastic gem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A cineastic gem - 19 May 2014 12:20:50    
Anders

I found this film on a Swedish website and I don't know if it is at all possible to watch it outside of Sweden, but do give it a try.

It's a wonderful little story about a young couple from Sweden on a car trip to Great Britain. They take their little blue SAAB car and head off for a holiday across the North Sea.

And, here comes the best part for the nostalgically inclined among us:
The film was made in 1959! So you can imagine the level of nostalgia! Wonderful pictures from Scotland and England from way back when.

The film is about 18 minutes long and the speaker text is in English, so no problem there.

The last scene of the film, when the couple is about to return back home, reveals some means of transportation I have never heard about before. They fly their car out from England on some sort of transport aeroplane which carries three cars plus passengers.

Amazing. I hope it is possible for you to watch this film and if so, some comments would be appreciated. Here's the address:

http://www.filmarkivet.se/sv/Film/?movieid=260&returnurl=http://www.filmarkivet.se/sv/Sok/?q%3dbilturist%2bi%2bstorbritannien
Post #: 1
RE: A cineastic gem - 20 May 2014 17:31:55    
marie

That's wonderful Anders, thanks so much for sharing. Even with my slow internet it worked perfectly.

(in reply to Anders)
Post #: 2
RE: A cineastic gem - 21 May 2014 4:54:34    
Anders

Thanks, Marie, that's nice to hear. And now I know that it is visible everywhere, which is not always the case with certain websites.

(in reply to marie)
Post #: 3
RE: A cineastic gem - 23 May 2014 9:52:32    
IanHarryWebb

They may have been able to drive into and around the fountain at Holyrood Palace but I strongly doubt
they would have {Aye they got permission} been allowed to drive into Edinburgh Castle even in 1959.
Those days no traffic drives through the drawbridge {far to many tourists} the traffic goes through a tunnel on the right.
Big changes in driving today with Motorways and parking problems.

I worry that their car went to France while they filmed the plane going without them. ;-)
Enjoyed the film very much Anders; the scenery in the countryside and small villages
would have hardly changed. St Paul's Cathedral is not such a landmark today as its surrounded
with tall buildings. Even the dome is hard to spot, which is a shame.

I noticed they drove on the left in Sweden

IanHarryWebb

(in reply to Anders)
Post #: 4
RE: A cineastic gem - 23 May 2014 11:53:53    
Anders

Hi, there, Ian,

I was hoping that you too would watch the film as it is about Scotland as well, and not just about England. Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, we used to drive on the left in Sweden. However, to make things easier for tourists from the continent, and for ourselves when we went abroad, and thus for road safety, the decision was made to change to right hand traffic.

This was of course an extremely vast project which was completed in 1967, and on Sunday the third of September 1967 at 5 o'clock in the morning, we changed from the left to the right. That was indeed a very special day. I was fourteen years old and I still remember it very vividly.

A strange thing is that our cars were always made for right hand traffic, even before the switch, with the steering wheel to the left.

(in reply to IanHarryWebb)
Post #: 5
RE: A cineastic gem - 23 May 2014 13:01:51    
Tudor Rose

Excellent, Anders This was a fun film to watch with a mug of coffee. I especially liked the music and the fashions...heels, skirt, and frilly top on a picnic? Goodness, Hyacinth Bucket would be VERY impressed! What a great piece of nostalgia.

(in reply to Anders)
Post #: 6
RE: A cineastic gem - 23 May 2014 14:21:15    
Anders

Thank you, and may I say how nice it is to hear from you again. And yes, Hyacinth would certainly have been pleased. Only she would of course have brought her Royal Doulton with the hand-painted periwinkles.

This has got nothing to do with the film really, apart from the fact that the film is from 1959, but talking about nostalgia, the 50's is a very popular decade in some parts of my country. Amongst young people, who were born in the 80's and the 90's!

There is a subculture here where young people drive around in great big American cars from the fifties and beginning of the sixties, they listen to rockabilly music, dance like people did then, wear clothes from that period and wear the hairstyles. I read somewhere that there are more well preserved American cars from the fifties in Sweden, than in the US.

It sometimes feels like your in the middle of one of my favourite movies "American Graffiti". Which is about 1962, but that's more or less the same.

(in reply to Tudor Rose)
Post #: 7
RE: A cineastic gem - 5 Jun. 2014 8:07:30    
Ron Hann

The word which immediately springs to mind is 'droolies', a term frequently heard at sessions of viewing films such as this.

Wonderful stuff.

Thanks mate.

And remember - don't sweat the petty things - and don't pet the sweaty things.

(in reply to Anders)
Post #: 8
RE: A cineastic gem - 5 Jun. 2014 8:59:46    
Anders

Glad you liked it, Ron. I was pretty sure you would.

(in reply to Ron Hann)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Main] >> General Chat >> A cineastic gem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote