AboutBritain.com Forums
    Home -  Self Catering -  Bed and Breakfast -  Campsites -  Regions
    Attractions -  Towns -  Counties -  What's Near You -  Articles
    Photo Gallery -  Videos -  British Desktops

AboutBritain.com Forums

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Edinburgh Trams near finished

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Main] >> General Chat >> Edinburgh Trams near finished Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Edinburgh Trams near finished - 25 May 2013 11:38:48    
IanHarryWebb

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/7452-edinburgh-tram-saga-nearing-the-end-of-the-line

The trams chaos and traffic diversions are near an end.
The tram {four years late} due to open summer 2014 could well be running
in September 2013. Over head cables are going up during the night.

The council wisely are not officially saying anything.
Besides its not up to them an outside body must declare that they are safe for the public to use. Road closures should end soon and the Airport to York Place tram shall be operating by Christmas. York Place is at the end of Queen's Street after St Andrew's Square Bus Station. Princes Street at the Mound is the stop for Waverley Station. 1/4 quarter mile walk to catch a train.

So how long till {if ever} it shall continue down Leith Walk to Ocean Terminal and Newhaven: Granton, Western General {Hospital}, to the West End at Princes Street? Shall lines 2 and 3 ever see the light of day? Will the line ever go to Dalkieth as they dream of doing? I THINK YES BUT NOT IN MY LIFETIME.

Other lines would never have the same problems but the economy would need to improve and those making plans to build {whatever} may insist on rapid clean transport IE Trams.
So next year would be a great time to visit Edinburgh 2014 fast transport from Edinburgh Airport to Edinburgh city centre and no more traffic chaos.
They may widen the pavements which is cool but !!!
No one said it was a perfect world.

IanHarryWebb
Post #: 1
RE: Edinburgh Trams near finished - 26 May 2013 9:03:46    
Ron Hann

Interesting. Yours is just one of numerous cities around the world which are either extending their existing tram routes or starting from scratch [sometimes just replacing what they had mumble-mumble years ago, anyway].

The Gold Coast area of south-eastern Queensland [Surfers' Paradise, et al.] is undergoing such a programme. The locals are getting a bit peeved off about the length of time that it is taking but, if it is to be done properly, it's not something that can be done 'overnight'.

Here, we are looking forward to the possible re-opening of the earthquake-affected Tourist Tram around the City, later this year.

Adelaide, which, apart from one route, closed its tram routes in the second half of the 1960's, has now extended the remaining route and replaced the vehicles which went into traffic in, I think, about the late 1920's.

This run was, for the greater part of its distance, an inter-urban service, running in its own reserved right-of-way.

And remember - don't sweat the petty things - and don't pet the sweaty things.

(in reply to IanHarryWebb)
Post #: 2
RE: Edinburgh Trams near finished - 27 May 2013 12:57:51    
Quenton

Hard to find anything positive to say about the Edinburgh trams fiasco really... I guess "It'll soon be over" is about the best we can hope for.

Think what else they could have done in Edinburgh to boost tourism with the same amount of money - it could have been a transformation.

Will they ever build more trams? No politician who remembers the build process will want to repeat the experience - and I can't see many taxpayers voting for it either.

But people have short memories - and perhaps future generations might think it's a good idea.

By that time we may have moved on to something better than trams - something like the Heathrow Terminal 5 pod system - or perhaps self-driving electric cars would be more suited to the 21st century.

(in reply to Ron Hann)
Post #: 3
RE: Edinburgh Trams near finished - 28 May 2013 8:43:58    
Ron Hann

Not being 'Johnny-on-the-spot' I don't intend entering into that argument.

Your comments somewhat echo those of the traders along the route of the Surfers' Paradise.

However, I have come clean and say that I am a fervent supporter of electric traction, be it on road or rail.

What annoys me, although I should have expected it, is the reaction to the electric car in the U.S.A., going by what has been published. I don't necessarily mean by John Q. Public but by some large Corporations who felt their business threatened by such vehicles.

What's the old expression ? 'Might is right.'

(in reply to Quenton)
Post #: 4
RE: Edinburgh Trams near finished - 1 Jun. 2013 10:59:39    
IanHarryWebb

The money for trams was for "TRAMS" and nothing else.
There was never a choice there never was money to be spent as one would like.
The cash was to build a tram line and nothing else.

Leith Docks and the Forth Ports and foreshore were to be built on; without new roads without car parking places.
How to move people quickly cleanly without traffic problems and pollution was the question.
Trams were the answer! Build it and we will come said those going to build along the coast.

The Labour/LibDem admin had the dream supported by all the parties except the SNP.
Moving the utilities was the main problem plus finding old streets graves and so on beneath the city.
Incompetence by the council and builders plus arguments added to the delays.
{Similar things happened elsewhere: Amsterdam's new tram is just as late costing even more than Edinburgh's}

Some did predict the banking crises but those at the top in charge stuck their fingers in their ears and started
singing la la la. Hence after 2008 no building now taking place in Edinburgh North and Leith.

The SNP's policy was to ditch the tram every other party was still in favour.
The SNP won the election but NOT with a majority so their proposal to end the tram fiasco was defeated
in Parliament. And so the project went ahead. By the time of the next election {remember this is a city project and not a Scottish Government one} it had gone to far to be stopped.
Meanwhile I jump ahead a little the tram was to end at Haymarket which would mean
running at a loss of £2 million each year. Wise heads knocked the council heads together and decided the tram must go to the city centre making a yearly profit instead of at a loss.

Amsterdam is five years late with its new tram, at more than twice the cost.
Its people look forward to see it come but then perhaps they did not get the drip drip drip of negative news.

In this brave new century many believe as do I that the car has had its day. Building even more motorways with more cars moving even slower burning up fossil fuels must end. Clean streets without pollution and traffic chaos is what is demanded. Knocking down homes for ever more car parks and roads is just silly.

Shopping Malls are a success and our city high streets paid the price.
But even Malls are in danger as most of us shop online; even I living in the city
sometimes have my groceries delivered. Victorian shopping seems to be at an end too, it is dying slowly.
So what shall our High Streets look like in 20 years? Perhaps people will be living in them again.

IanHarryWebb

(in reply to Ron Hann)
Post #: 5
RE: Edinburgh Trams near finished - 2 Jun. 2013 9:16:02    
Ron Hann

Ian, I am totally in accordance with your thoughts regarding the future of cities, especially so far as traffic is concerned.

I can't make any comments regarding Amsterdam or any other centre but the general principle is the same - public transport will have to be up-graded to make its use more appealing.

If a city like Melbourne [Victoria] is determined to retain its trams [now known as Light Rail Vehicles {L.R.V.'s}], and other cities are re-introducing them or upgrading existing routes then SOMEONE must be able to see through the exhaust fumes in the main streets.

Post #: 6
RE: Edinburgh Trams near finished - 26 Feb. 2014 17:02:36    
IanHarryWebb

Well Trams have made it into Edinburgh but as yet not with the public on-board.
I have seen them. They are looking for volunteers to test them out I'm thinking of putting my name forward.
How does the public test a tram just agree that the ride was neat and the stopping was steady.?
Anyhoo I'll let you know. So folks you can come in from the airport into Edinburgh in our nice shiny new tram
this summer.

IanHarryWebb

(in reply to Ron Hann)
Post #: 7
RE: Edinburgh Trams near finished - 27 Feb. 2014 12:20:13    
IanHarryWebb

I received a reply and they were overwhelmed with volunteers {so I'm not needed} in March they are going to have large crowds board and alight
at the Murrayfield Tram Stop {Rugby} to learn how to cope when games are being played and the crowd goes home.
Missed my chance to travel on a tram.

IanHarryWebb

Post #: 8
RE: Edinburgh Trams near finished - 28 Feb. 2014 6:49:30    
Ron Hann

No doubt you will get plenty of chances, Ian.

I understand that some of the route of the Tourist Tram which was operating at the time of our 'shakes' has been re-opened but it will, apparently, be quite a while afore the full circuit is re-activated.

Apparently one of the bridges over the River Avon is stil to be fixed and given the O.K.

Post #: 9
RE: Edinburgh Trams near finished - 4 Mar. 2014 20:38:40    
IanHarryWebb

You wait 56 years for an Edinburgh Tram on Princes St and three come along at once.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iansdigitalphotos/
Here is the link to the photos I took today after visiting Edinburgh Castle.
Enjoy.

IanHarryWebb

(in reply to Ron Hann)
Post #: 10
RE: Edinburgh Trams near finished - 5 Mar. 2014 9:02:55    
Ron Hann

Crikey, mate, you'll have people thinking that you're a tourist, running around taking that many photographs in the Castle.

Easy to see you don't use film.

Thank you for the pix of the trams. They seem to be pretty well comparable with what quite a few other cities are converting to, these days. Even Melbourne is up-dating its fleet. Mind you, they've been doing that for yonks, anyway.

What is the structure being built in one of the earlier images in this collection ? The one with the great tall crane in view ? Your new house ?

Post #: 11
RE: Edinburgh Trams near finished - 8 Mar. 2014 8:54:54    
Ron Hann

Just a quick note, Ian, I was able to open that site.

Thank you.

Very interesting but I reckon that I would tend to have reservations about the little vehicles' stability, especially with just one wheel at the rear.

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Main] >> General Chat >> Edinburgh Trams near finished Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote