AboutBritain.com Forums
    Home -  Self Catering -  Bed and Breakfast -  Campsites -  Regions
    Attractions -  Towns -  Counties -  What's Near You -  Articles
    Photo Gallery -  Videos -  British Desktops

AboutBritain.com Forums

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Diggle. Saddleworth. Yorkshire.

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Main] >> Feedback >> Diggle. Saddleworth. Yorkshire. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Diggle. Saddleworth. Yorkshire. - 7 Feb. 2012 9:58:27    
Crossley

Good Morning. I live in Diggle and need to clarify where Diggle is.
Yes it is in Greater Manchester Administrative County and is administered through Oldham Borough of which Oldham town is in Lancashire.
In 1974 when the administrative counties were set up a number of artificial counties came into existence including Humberside, West and South Yorkshire etc.
These counties are not the real historic counties which still exist. These administrative counties have been super-imposed over the original ones and has led to much confusion. For example many in Warrington think they are in Cheshire but in reality nothing changed it is still Lancashire, just administered in 1874 by Cheshire admin county but more recently is a unitary council.
Yorkshire: there was only ever 3 Ridings as this means a third part. There never was a south riding. The 3 original Ridings still exist and York which is in none.
Unfortunatley the government created 3 artificial counties for administration North, South and West Yorkshire and a further section of the largely East Riding had Humberside superinmposed over it and North Lincolnshire. However more recently this admin county which was always unpopular has broken up.
The same with Cleveland which includes the North Riding towns of Middlesborough and Redcar. Other areas of confusion have been the areas around Pendle ie Earby which is now administered by Pendle but still in the West Riding. Other confusion arises with further West Riding towns such as Skipton and Harrogate which are administered by the artificial North Yorkshire.
In 1974 the government was at pains to make the point that the historic counties would not change the existing counties just that the new ones would be superimposed over the original ones. Unfortunately since the successive governments have largely ignored this important point and many people in Britain and indeed visitors have a very warped view of where places are confusion now reigns.
So to Diggle and Saddleworth. Again Saddleworth is in the West Riding administered by Oldham. To acknowledge this fact more recently signs have gone up to reflect this fact and a trip to the traditional border at Grains bar between OLdham Lancashire and Saddleworth Yorkshire you will find both a Lancashire and West Riding of Yorkshire signs prominently displayed there.
Try telling people in my village Diggle that they are now in Lancashire will not go down well and likely cause a person to beat a hasty retreat over the border.
Saddleworth has been in Yorkshire for over 1000 years and would take an act of Parliament to remove it. As Prince Charles stated on the day the Huddersfield Canal was reopened that Saddleworth is in Yorkshire.
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Main] >> Feedback >> Diggle. Saddleworth. Yorkshire. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post