AboutBritain.com Forums
    Home -  Self Catering -  Bed and Breakfast -  Campsites -  Regions
    Attractions -  Towns -  Counties -  What's Near You -  Articles
    Photo Gallery -  Videos -  British Desktops

AboutBritain.com Forums

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Beamish via Angel of the North

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Main] >> Trip Reports >> Beamish via Angel of the North Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beamish via Angel of the North - 26 Jul. 2010 8:13:09    
IanHarryWebb

I was picked-up at 8am and after filling up the tank we were on our way south at 8.30am.
Edinburgh to Gateshead and Beamish open air museum had us arrive at 10.40am.
The museum opens at 10am. £16 to enter £13 for old people like me.
It can be used as often as you like over the year but we live far away to make it worthwhile.
Pockerley Waggonway.
No need to walk to each section just catch a bus or tram to place to place.
First for us was 1825 and a wee train ride at a frightening speed of 4 MPH.
A walk up to the Old Hall and into the rooms with the large ranges which even I can recall seeing down at the farm in Yorkshire. An old indoor toilet was much discussed several hundred years old, can't remember how old. Old beds and you get the picture. Some up to 1913.
The Town
Open top buses or open top trams to the town with its bank: coop; masonic hall, sweet-shop and pub. We had lunch in the tea-rooms (Go early we seen a long line out into the street a little later} The pub was busy so we thought we would return later.
A nice old gent explained the printing press a lady the dentist we popped into houses.
A walk down to the RAILWAY STATION for a steam train ride and a great photo of the train driver giving the thumbs up by yours truly .
Pit Village
The bus took us down to the village and a visit to the Colliery. Time was going fast now and we did not have time to go down pit. But we did enjoy what we seen and we walked up to HOME FARM.
The kids loved the horses {other people's kids} and animals.
A short wait for an open top tram back to town and that welcome pint in Pub.
4.30pm and time to catch the bus back to the entrance.

On the way back we stopped at The Angel of the North.
It's in Gateshead with houses close by. When you see it from the train you think its in the country but no it's surrounded by homes. And it's hard to get it all in so take a wide-angle lens.
"Holy Island" was our next stop for a photo shoot, we did take care to check the times of the tide, not that I gave a hoot if we were trapped over night. A lovely place but how do folks deal with work if one needs to work around the times of the tides? We had a quick look inside the church and walk around the outside of the castle.
We made it back to park the car and into the Foot Of The Walk for supper and a few pints.
They stop serving food at 10pm but we got in on time and a very enjoyable day out.
Falkirk Wheel and Britannia will come up next trip.

Now there is a lot of walking in some places and going up and down stairs inside the houses. There is no need to walk from place to place the trams or buses will take you, BUT Pockerley Waggonway to Pockerly Old Hall is a walk for people with difficulty. If having a baby buggy you may need to wait to catch the bus rather than a tram.
Toilets are in each section in Beamish. And we found that except for going down the mine we seen everthing, six hours or more are needed unless you can visit often over the year for the same price.

IanHarryWebb
Post #: 1
RE: Beamish via Angel of the North - 26 Jul. 2010 12:46:59    
Anders

Thanks for the info about the trip. I hope to be able to visit this place one day, (only I have a little bit farther to travel!).

(in reply to IanHarryWebb)
Post #: 2
RE: Beamish via Angel of the North - 28 Nov. 2010 16:10:46    
Katie

Truly Beamish is a great place to visit, and its perfect for all ages..younger members of the family seeing just how it was in Grandparents Time..Just dont forget to take your camera when you visit..lots of subjects to capture on film...cheers Katie

Cead Mile Failte

( A hundred Thousand Welcomes)

(in reply to Anders)
Post #: 3
[Deleted] - 24 Oct. 2014 1:08:18    
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to IanHarryWebb)
  Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Main] >> Trip Reports >> Beamish via Angel of the North Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Message smilies by Mazeguy