AboutBritain.com Forums
    Home -  Self Catering -  Bed and Breakfast -  Campsites -  Regions
    Attractions -  Towns -  Counties -  What's Near You -  Articles
    Photo Gallery -  Videos -  British Desktops

AboutBritain.com Forums

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Gritters Out In The Borders Today!!

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Main] >> Trip Reports >> Gritters Out In The Borders Today!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gritters Out In The Borders Today!! - 3 Jul. 2010 17:55:06    
Clare

Q: Why were they gritting the roads in Galashiels this morning????

A: Because it's Gala Day!

The Gala Celebrations include a big procession of horses (and riders) through the town - at one point there is a big hill which they gallop up (called Scott Street). This is where everyone lines the streets to cheer them on. This is also where they deploy the gritters to stop the horses slipping as they gallop up the hill.

After missing it for a couple of years (due to trips away!) we decided to take Emily along to the celebrations this morning. It was great. We parked the car on the outskirts of town and walked with the crowds to Scott Street to wait for the galloping horses. After a 10 minute wait whilst the excitement built (these parades are never on time!!), the parade started with two mounted policemen checking the route was clear, followed closely by the local pipe and drum band.

Next came the big event - the horses! At the front was the Braw Lad and Lass and their attendants. Then came the rest of the horses - we reckon somewhere around 200 horses, their riders mostly wearing the traditional black waistcoat and white shirt and black and white rosettes, all galloping past us down a terraced house-lined road - very exciting! A magnificent sight and sound - all sorts of horses and ponies with all sorts of riders!

Then it was a quick sandwich lunch in town followed by a walk to the fun fair on the sports field, which Emily enjoyed immensely. She loved it all - Aquaball, Dodgems (with Dad), Fun House, Trampoline Bungee, Terrifying Drop Ride (with Mum), Aeroplane Roundabout, rounded off with a big bag of Candy Floss. Note we waited until the end for the candy floss!!

Quenton and I also enjoyed the fun fair - a traditional old-fashioned travelling funfair with all sorts of rides - gentle ones for the kiddies and scary ones for the teenagers!

Here's a site which has all you want to know about the Common Ridings in the Borders:
Return to the Ridings

Here are some photos of this mornings activities:

Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (5)
Post #: 1
RE: Gritters Out In The Borders Today!! - 8 Jul. 2010 15:04:59    
Tudor Rose

What a great day! Thanks for the report altho offering a sample of candy floss while reading would have made it extra special

Really like the photo of Quenton and Emily on the Dodge'ems. Does he usually look like this behind the wheel of a car????

(in reply to Clare)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Main] >> Trip Reports >> Gritters Out In The Borders Today!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Message smilies by Mazeguy