AboutBritain.com Forums
    Home -  Self Catering -  Bed and Breakfast -  Campsites -  Regions
    Attractions -  Towns -  Counties -  What's Near You -  Articles
    Photo Gallery -  Videos -  British Desktops

AboutBritain.com Forums

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Do you use Twitter?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Main] >> Opinion Polls >> Do you use Twitter? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
[Poll]

Do you use Twitter?

Yes, every day
  0% (0)
Yes, occasionally
  0% (0)
I signed up, but don't use it often
  7% (1)
No, I can't see the point
  76% (10)
What's Twitter?
  15% (2)

Total Votes : 13

(last vote on : 29 Aug. 2010 18:45:13 )
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do you use Twitter? - 4 Mar. 2009 22:25:40    
Quenton

Do any AboutBritain.com forum users also use Twitter?

If we Tweeted - would anyone be following us?
Post #: 1
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 5 Mar. 2009 10:15:29    
Tudor Rose

Lately, I've had a hard enough time keeping this computer running.

Now you tell me there is another thing to learn??? At least this time, I actually am familiar with the Twitter concept. Took me a while to figure out FaceBook

(in reply to Quenton)
Post #: 2
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 5 Mar. 2009 12:03:51    
Ye Olde Buffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quenton
If we Tweeted - would anyone be following us?

Only the birds Quenton.

Ye Olde Buffer
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk
The Unofficial Guide to Great Britain

(in reply to Quenton)
Post #: 3
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 5 Mar. 2009 13:35:44    
Shannon

I have heard of this Twitter thing. President Obama twittered (again...whatever that means) during his inaugeral.

I honestly haven't a clue...I can facebook though

Shannon

(in reply to Ye Olde Buffer)
Post #: 4
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 5 Mar. 2009 17:41:28    
Quenton

Interesting - I understand Twitter. Not completely sure I've got my head round Facebook yet though.

I must be getting old...

(in reply to Shannon)
Post #: 5
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 8 Mar. 2009 13:30:03    
saki

appears this is for those people who can not stand t o be alone even for a moment

(in reply to Quenton)
Post #: 6
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 1 Apr. 2009 17:38:39    
merry traveler

I agree, Saki. I don't want to know all the minutia of everyone's daily life. I have enough trouble keeping track of my own. I think I am getting too old for some if this technology. In six months or less it will be something else. Remember all of those people who videotaped every minute of their child's life? What will happen to all of those video tapes when there is no longer a working tape player to play them on. They of course can all be transferred to DVD and then to Blue Ray and then to whatever, ad nauseum. Just give me a plain old photo album where I can flip the pages and I will be happy.

(in reply to saki)
Post #: 7
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 3 Apr. 2009 0:30:38    
eatdrinkbehappy

If you've got a business and something to advertise, then it could be useful, however I don't even blog because it's nearly always read by opposition.

I don't twitter or use facebook, I don't have time and as Merry Traveller said, I'm really not that lonely or got so little to do that I feel the need to be absorbed in someone else's trivia.

Wasn't there some kind of research showing that facebook, myspace and some of the other communication mediums are now so addictive that people are losing their jobs and relationships because they turn into such an obssession?

(in reply to merry traveler)
Post #: 8
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 6 May 2009 11:30:14    
Ye Olde Buffer

I can't seem to use anything but 'Fast Reply' to add to this thread.

A slight change of attitude here. Originally I thought that the idea of posting frequent little snippets of information for family and friends was a waste of time and I still do. However I have recently discovered that organisations of varying sorts are also using Twitter. For example Tower Bridge says when it's opening and closing and for what vessel, Best Western Hotels and Visit Britain also have a presence. That sort of thing could be useful.

So as my second answer to your original question, Quenton, I might. I can't find you on Twitter do you have an account yet?

I have to admit that I have started my own Twitter account although I'm not sure yet quite what I'll do with it.

Ye Olde Buffer

(in reply to eatdrinkbehappy)
Post #: 9
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 7 May 2009 10:48:43    
Katie

Lol...The first time someone asked me if I was a Twitter....I laughed out loud Not enough hours in the day as it is...so its one cyber outlet I will give a miss...

(in reply to Shannon)
Post #: 10
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 8 May 2009 1:15:11    
Quenton

Ye Olde Buffer,

Yes - I've just caved in and started a personal Twitter account to experiment with a couple of days ago. It's surprisingly good actually - provided you pick interesting people to follow!

My account is:

http://twitter.com/QuentonFyfe

I might do an AboutBritain.com Twitter account once I get the hang of it. I think it would be a good place for people to find out what's new and improved on the site on a daily or weekly basis. Though judging by the results of this survey, there may not be many people reading it!

What's your Twitter Account?

(in reply to Katie)
Post #: 11
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 8 May 2009 11:59:21    
Ye Olde Buffer

Quenton my account is:

http://www.twitter.com/beenthere4u

It's getting ridiculous. I posted my first, totally inconsequential, tweet and within 24 hours I get 3 followers. I don't know these people. What on earth do they hope to get out of it?

I've just posted another tweet this morning and now I find I've got another follower. The mind boggles.

P.S.

When I try to post to this thread only the 'FastReply' button works. The 'quote' or 'reply' buttons do nothing and even preview doesn't work. Is it me or is it you?

Ye Olde Buffer

(in reply to Quenton)
Post #: 12
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 11 May 2009 15:32:26    
Quenton

It's probably us Barry, but I don't know why - it's ok for me. What browser are you using? And is it any different on a different one?

Now you have another follower!

I must confess I'm quite taking to Twitter - though the mystery followers are a bit wierd aren't they? I'm up to about 50odd now. I think they hope you'll follow them back, and then they can sell you stuff. But I don't, so they can't!

Post #: 13
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 12 May 2009 21:46:12    
AZcowboy

Q, I signed up for Twitter last fall when a local politician invited us to follow him as he attempted some legislation in DC. I did not find it very helpful. What has been your experience to date. What are the pros and cons?

(in reply to Quenton)
Post #: 14
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 13 May 2009 1:02:17    
Quenton

Phil,

Various people I respect in the Internet Marketing world have been going on about Twitter for more than a year now (long before it became generally known).

I must confess that I dismissed it - it just seemed like a waste of time - and I have little enough of that as it is.

But about a week ago, I thought I'd better try it for myself - and I must say I've been very pleasantly surprised. I set up an account, followed two or three interesting people, and started posting the occasional tweet. And I'm really enjoying it. I use a twitter client on my computer rather than their website - and I'd recommend doing that - much easier than visiting the site.

Pros: It doesn't take much time: Because each Tweet is only 140 characters long (10 - 15 words) - it doesn't take much time to read or write. Unlike a blog post.

Also, you get to keep up with what people are up to. Of course you have to be careful who you follow - I can't see the point in following thousands of people - you'd just get too much information coming at you - but pick a few, and if you enjoy their updates, stick with them - if not, stop following them.

Cons: The main one for me, is that most of my friends aren't signed up yet - they're still in the "waste of time" phase that I was in a couple of weeks ago. I'm picking them off one-by-one though - got another one signed up today!

I don't know if I'll stick with it long-term, or if the novelty will wear off - but I'm enjoying it so far.

Some people use it for networking - meeting new people in their area, or people with common interests. I'm mainly using it for keeping up with friends and acquaintances that I don't always have time to email. Main thing is to find some interesting people to follow!

Definitely considering the possibility of setting up an AboutBritain.com Twitter account. My account is mainly for "what I'm doing" type stuff - the AboutBritain one would be for "What's new / coming soon on AboutBritain.com". Again, I've never had time to do a blog on that - or even announce things here as often as I'd like. And some of our small updates wouldn't really justify a full blog post. But I could take a few seconds to say "Hey - we've uploaded some new photos to this attraction" - or "What do you think of this new feature we're thinking about" or whatever.

(in reply to AZcowboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 13 May 2009 17:57:31    
AZcowboy

Q, thx for the push to give it another try. I have opened a new twitter account. I have twitterpated and have tried to respond to yours. I cannot respond to yours and cannot access you through my account but only the link you included in this thread. As you know, I NEED to talk with you about your upcoming trip. :)

(in reply to Quenton)
Post #: 16
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 13 May 2009 18:26:32    
Ye Olde Buffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quenton

It's probably us Barry, but I don't know why - it's ok for me. What browser are you using? And is it any different on a different one?

I think it may be both of us Quenton.

My internet connection goes through my own proxy server, and has done since before I joined AB, and if I disable it everything works as it should but the problem shows up only on this thread.

I think that we may as well ignore it now that I know how to get around it if I need to.

quote:

Original: Cowboy

Q, I signed up for Twitter last fall when a local politician invited us to follow him as he attempted some legislation in DC. I did not find it very helpful. What has been your experience to date. What are the pros and cons?

Hello Phil. You may realise that I've opened a Twitter account to see what all the fuss is about. I have to admit that, so far, I wouldn't describe it as 'helpful'. Following some organisations, such as The National Trust, might be useful but I'm afraid the jury is still out.

Ye Olde Buffer

(in reply to Quenton)
Post #: 17
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 13 May 2009 19:20:28    
AZcowboy

I got added to Q's list of followers. We shall see. YOB, I would like to follow you. What name should I look for you?

Post #: 18
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 13 May 2009 21:29:06    
Ye Olde Buffer

Phil

It's in this thread just a little before your first post.

Ye Olde Buffer

(in reply to AZcowboy)
Post #: 19
RE: Do you use Twitter? - 13 May 2009 22:05:58    
Quenton

Hi Phil,

I thought you might be interested!

You can always email me - quenton@aboutbritain.com

Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Main] >> Opinion Polls >> Do you use Twitter? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Message smilies by Mazeguy