AboutBritain.com Forums
    Home -  Self Catering -  Bed and Breakfast -  Campsites -  Regions
    Attractions -  Towns -  Counties -  What's Near You -  Articles
    Photo Gallery -  Videos -  British Desktops

AboutBritain.com Forums

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Portsmouth Harbour

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Main] >> Trip Reports >> Portsmouth Harbour Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Portsmouth Harbour - 5 May 2006 13:01:39    
marie

I am going to break down my trip report into 2 parts, Portsmouth and then The Isle of Wight, as they are 2 totally different places.

From Heathrow, it was an easy trip to Portsmouth Harbour. I bought, from the Central bus station, a ticket through to the harbour (I could have gotten one that took me all the way to Shanklin - that would include the ferry and the train on the island). I took a bus to Woking and transfered to a train down to the old harbour.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, which was the only hotel in the immediate area. It is right on the Old Quay. That area is basically 2 parts. There is a new section that includes an outlet shopping area, plenty of restaurants and the Spinnaker tower. The other section is the old naval yard and several historic ships and museums. There is also a nice walk along the coast.

There are quite a few stores in the mall, but other than Whittard's Tea and Cadbury , they did not hold much interest for me. The restaurants were really varied, covering a good variety of ethnic food. I had lunch in an old pub (shepards pie) and dinner in a French cafe (boulibaisse and tarte tatin )

I went up the Spinnaker tower. I took the enclosed lift, but there is a panoramic lift. The view from the top is fabulous. The weather was not too clear that day, but I could still see quite far. It was worth the £4.95 fee.

I visited a museum that had the remnants of a sail that was on a ship that fought in the Battle of Trafalgar. I don't remember what ship. Sorry, I am not nautical. I really went because of Hudson, looking for some info on naval history for him. Saw the HMS Victory, Nelson's ship. Sorry Tudor, I did not see The Mary Rose - Henry VIII's ship.

If you are interested in naval history, there is plenty to see in Portsmouth. There are harbour tours that will take you to see old destroyers and other warfare ships.

I have tried to post some pics, but I don't think it is working. I will try to figure this out.

The next morning, after breakfast, I headed back to the docks and caught the passenger ferry to Ryde on the Isle of Wight.
Post #: 1
RE: Portsmouth Harbour - 5 May 2006 15:28:12    
Lisa

Welcome back, Miss Marie World Traveller! After reading this, you have whetted my appetite for the rest. Can't wait.....

Sounds like you found some good food...things have really changed in Britain. Tarte Tatin?
I used to like that very much but cannae do the mainstream version anymore! Next trip, I'll go with you and just watch you enjoy it....

(in reply to marie)
Post #: 2
RE: Portsmouth Harbour - 5 May 2006 21:16:31    
Hudson

Let me add my welcome back to that. Glad to see you sharing your trip with us. The Tarte Tatin sound delicious. . Am looking forward to some more of your posts.

The Ancient Mariner

(in reply to Lisa)
Post #: 3
RE: Portsmouth Harbour - 9 Jun. 2006 4:58:54    
Shannon

Marie,
Sorry I am so late in replying. As you know whilst you were in the UK, it was cram/study exam time for me.
Everything you described sounded so lovely!

Shannon

(in reply to Hudson)
Post #: 4
RE: Portsmouth Harbour - 9 Jun. 2006 20:19:09    
IanHarryWebb

Great Marie Thanks. I would like Portsmouth I think.

IanHarryWebb

(in reply to Shannon)
Post #: 5
RE: Portsmouth Harbour - 12 Jun. 2006 23:53:28    
justpassin

sound like your having a great time must say though ive not been to portsmouth but from what you say about it i will have visit there sometime would love to see the pics though

(in reply to marie)
Post #: 6
RE: Portsmouth Harbour - 28 Sep. 2011 16:26:03    
Katie

While browsing the site I started to read Maries topic.....Aaahh! Portsmouth many moons ago I took a holiday visiting both areas mentioned. Staying with family truly a brilliant place ......thank you Katie

< Message edited by Katie -- 28 Sep. 2011 16:39:31 >

Cead Mile Failte

( A hundred Thousand Welcomes)

(in reply to justpassin)
Post #: 7
[Deleted] - 31 Dec. 2014 1:32:13    
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to marie)
  Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Main] >> Trip Reports >> Portsmouth Harbour Page: [1]