AboutBritain.com Forums
    Home -  Self Catering -  Bed and Breakfast -  Campsites -  Regions
    Attractions -  Towns -  Counties -  What's Near You -  Articles
    Photo Gallery -  Videos -  British Desktops

AboutBritain.com Forums

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Just for fun......

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Main] >> General Chat >> RE: Just for fun...... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Just for fun...... - 8 May 2006 10:33:50    
Ron Hann

If I may be permitted to refer to last week's Wallpaper (Winchester Cathedral)?

I noticeed that, on the left-hand side of the image, just forward of the large tree, there would appear to be scaffolding over, possibly, a hole in the structure. Reason????

I was under the impression that constructin of this edifice was completed quite a number of years ago - unless some of our builders have moved to Winchester and are taking as long, there, as they do here.

And remember - don't sweat the petty things - and don't pet the sweaty things.

(in reply to gypsy)
Post #: 41
RE: Just for fun...... - 28 May 2006 9:16:46    
Ron Hann

Just referring to this week's Wallpaper of Tewkesbury, which would appear to be a charming little village.

The bridge would appear to have 3, possibly 4, arches. Arches 2 and 3 obviously have the river running through them. What of the one on the far left, though? That would appear, from the image anyway, to be on dry land. Is this used as a pedestrian underpass?? Has this ever had water pass through it - as in times of flooding, for instance?? If there is a fourth arch, to the far right, is it over the river, or over dry land, also?? From the photograph it is hard to determine whether there is a fourth arch, or not.

(in reply to gypsy)
Post #: 42
RE: Just for fun...... - 28 May 2006 21:28:04    
Ye Olde Buffer

quote:

A couple of questions about this week's Wallpaper.

While the track through the Forest is obviously little-used by vehicles today, if at all, would it have been a Coach-road or similar thoroughfare in earlier days?

Is this Forest typical of the density of Forests of, say, a couple of hundred years ago? Or woud they have been thicker and today's version being purely re-growth of cut-over areas?

Where is the Forest in relation to the village of Epping? I can find Epping in my Atlas but can see no reference to the Forest, either on the map or in the Index.

I seem to have come into this thread rather late but you know what 'they' say - better late than never.

Ron what you are looking at there is not a track but a ditch which is part of an Iron Age Hill Fort with the bank of the fort on the left. When it was built there would have been no trees within the fort.

As far as forest density goes it probably is, generally, the same as it was 200 years ago.

Epping is on the northern edge of the forest which is actually on the fringes of Greater London.

quote:

If I may be permitted to refer to last week's Wallpaper (Winchester Cathedral)?

I noticeed that, on the left-hand side of the image, just forward of the large tree, there would appear to be scaffolding over, possibly, a hole in the structure. Reason????

No hole, Ron, just windows - well I suppose a window is a hole really but just a little more sophisticated. You can bet your life that if I turn up somewhere with a camera someone else will have turned up the day before and put up scaffolding.

Buildings like Winchester Cathedral require constant maintenance.

quote:

Just referring to this week's Wallpaper of Tewkesbury, which would appear to be a charming little village.

The bridge would appear to have 3, possibly 4, arches. Arches 2 and 3 obviously have the river running through them. What of the one on the far left, though? That would appear, from the image anyway, to be on dry land. Is this used as a pedestrian underpass?? Has this ever had water pass through it - as in times of flooding, for instance?? If there is a fourth arch, to the far right, is it over the river, or over dry land, also?? From the photograph it is hard to determine whether there is a fourth arch, or not.

First of all Tewkesbury is a small, but very interesting, town.

The river at this point splits into two channels and I think that a bridge was built to go over both at once leaving, possibly, a small spit of land under part of the bridge.

You're supposed to just look at the pictures Ron - not ask so many questions about them.

Just thought I'd pop in. Hello all!

(in reply to Ron Hann)
Post #: 43
RE: Just for fun...... - 29 May 2006 1:52:23    
gypsy

Hello Ye... good to have you back good sir.

"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."
- Italian Proverb

(in reply to Ye Olde Buffer)
Post #: 44
RE: Just for fun...... - 30 May 2006 10:24:58    
Ron Hann

quote:

You're supposed to just look at the pictures Ron - not ask so many questions about them.

Can't help it, mate, I'm just nosey by nature. I found out, quite early on in life that the only way to learn anything is to ask questions.

Anyway, thanks for the various comments which you have made.

Post #: 45
RE: Just for fun...... - 30 May 2006 16:20:40    
gypsy

Ron I agree with you about asking questions. I have always been the same although when I ask on this forum it would be proof of my ignorance!

"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."
- Italian Proverb

(in reply to Ron Hann)
Post #: 46
RE: Just for fun...... - 31 May 2006 8:54:28    
Ron Hann

gypsy, I don't have to "prove my ignorance" - everyone knows about it.

Now to this week's one. I seem to recall reading that, on a Church, a tower of that nature, is described as a Norman Tower. Is that correct? I therefore assume, rightly or wrongly, that it was a style brought in by the Normans during their invasion in ......? Is anyone aware of why they never went for the steepled version that was so common with other structures?

And, speaking of such things, what is the difference between a steeple and a spire? I know that I can be "inspired" but I doubt that I can be "insteepled", but that's just plain silly.

(in reply to gypsy)
Post #: 47
RE: Just for fun...... - 18 Jun. 2006 10:48:18    
Ron Hann

is it just me that finds these things????

I couldn't help but notice a very incongruous aspect of this week's Wallpaper.

Right in the middle of what are obviously quite old ruins is a man with the most common symbol of today - a cell-phone.

What a contrast.

(in reply to gypsy)
Post #: 48
RE: Just for fun...... - 18 Jun. 2006 13:06:37    
PeteMarks

Godd morning to you Ron et al,

A "steeple" is the tower structure including the "spire" which is the conical structure at the top.
And for those who have heard of "a steeplechase" in horse racing but are unsure of its origin. This in its original form was a semi-formal race over open countryside by members of a fox hunt. The object was to race from one village(with its church steeple) to the next and so on back to the original starting point. Probably the most well known steeplechase is the Grand National race at Aintree, UK where the horses jump over high artificially constructed hedges banks and fences.

Pete (off to my church now which does not have a steeple!)

(in reply to Ron Hann)
Post #: 49
RE: Just for fun...... - 18 Jun. 2006 13:39:14    
Tudor Rose

There is a game played by young children using their hands about a church.

"Here is the church. Here is the steeple. Open the doors, and see all the people"

Thanks for the explanation, PeteMarks!

As for a few replies upwards...re Winchester and your question about scaffolding, Ron. Now you see why I HATE that stuff. Yes, it is necessary to keep buildings in repair, to clean them, stop up holes so lil critters don't come in, etc. But why...OH WHY...does scaffolding have to be in place when I'm in town??????

It has gotten to the point now where each place I'd like to visit is e-mailed first, to find out if any construction/cleaning is taking place. That won't stop me from visiting, but it does prepare me for the site being covered by workers and supplies. There are nice outcomes, tho.

The one visit made to Winchester had me prepared for workers scurrying all over the cathedral. An e-mail to the cathedral had told me so. Happily, nothing was up during the two hours I was there

(in reply to PeteMarks)
Post #: 50
RE: Just for fun...... - 19 Jun. 2006 10:43:47    
Ron Hann

Thank you, Pete, mystery solved.

(in reply to Tudor Rose)
Post #: 51
RE: Just for fun...... - 19 Jun. 2006 21:34:02    
Ye Olde Buffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Hann

is it just me that finds these things????

I couldn't help but notice a very incongruous aspect of this week's Wallpaper.

Right in the middle of what are obviously quite old ruins is a man with the most common symbol of today - a cell-phone.

What a contrast.

Sorry Ron but you're seeing things that aren't there. What the man is actually holding is one of those 'Talking Tours' thingies, if I might use the technical term, which tells you what it is that you are looking at as you wander around. So it's a congruous aspect.

(in reply to Ron Hann)
Post #: 52
RE: Just for fun...... - 20 Jun. 2006 8:49:34    
Ron Hann

Ah, the joys of having 20/20 vision. Thank you.

Welcome back from your touring and I hope that it was enjoyable and, obviously, safe. I mean, you got back, didn't you.

Post #: 53
RE: Wallpaper. - 19 Jul. 2006 10:39:16    
Ron Hann

Can someone please tell me how a post in this thread (#21) should appear on a Yahoo website (r.e.hann)?

I didn't bother to check to see if there were any further posts which had, somehow, got on to that page.

(in reply to Ron Hann)
Post #: 54
RE: Wallpaper. - 19 Jul. 2006 11:16:51    
Quenton

Not sure I know what you mean Ron - can you post a link to the website in question? If I see it, I'll probably be able to tell you what's going on.

(in reply to Ron Hann)
Post #: 55
RE: Wallpaper. - 20 Jul. 2006 8:10:07    
Ron Hann

To be honest, Quenton, I wouldn't have a curlew how to post a link.

But If you go to Yahoo search and type in Ron Hann you'll see what I mean in about the third or fourth on the list.

I am aware that there are some other entries that refer to me, too, but this one in question is a direct copy of post #21 in this thread.

(in reply to Quenton)
Post #: 56
RE: Wallpaper. - 20 Jul. 2006 11:24:14    
IanHarryWebb

Clearly you have not been to Singapore!

Its not just YOU Ron its everyone.
Its how the internet works really people will now believe
that this Ron Hann bloke knows what he is talking about.

I don't think its anything to do with others HERE placing it at Yahoo its Yahoo who puts all your interesting stuff up there.

I'm NOT talking about you here Ron. But it goes to show just because you read something on the internet don't mean its true.

If you type in Granton, Edinburgh you well may be brought to aboutbritain via yahoo to something I have writen.
In fact I'll try it now.

Well clearly I have been to Singapore

I never knew Granton was so interesting, I got bored by 100 posts.

So I'm well below all those. It probably means that those most read go to the top of the list.

Try and type in other names or topics and you will read things that folks did not know was available at other sites....like yahoo.

anglosaxon IE no 4 is happy birthday anglosaxon.

IanHarryWebb

(in reply to Ron Hann)
Post #: 57
RE: Wallpaper. - 20 Jul. 2006 11:40:00    
IanHarryWebb

I typed in ianharrywebb, Moscow and my name + Moscow came up on an old thread on aboutbritain, I think it was number 14.

Interesting to see how long it takes for the last one
concerning Does it get too cold to snow?
To come up.

IanHarryWebb

(in reply to IanHarryWebb)
Post #: 58
RE: Wallpaper. - 20 Jul. 2006 12:59:25    
Quenton

Aha, I see:

All that's happened there is that Yahoo has indexed this thread - and it's one of the pages returned in the results when you search for "Ron Hann" - because it thinks it's one of the most relevant ones for that search term. If you click on it, it takes you to this thread on AboutBritain.com.

The text below the link on Yahoo is just a summary of the page - so you can see if it's relevant to your search before you click it - obviously it's chosen some text that has "Ron Hann" in it a few times.

(in reply to Ron Hann)
Post #: 59
RE: Wallpaper. - 20 Jul. 2006 13:02:13    
Quenton

Ian,

If you type:

Granton Tourist Information

into Google - you'll get the page you're looking for. (No 1!). Your description is live on the site, but hasn't hit the Google index yet. Give it a couple more days and it'll be in their summary too.

(in reply to IanHarryWebb)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Main] >> General Chat >> RE: Just for fun...... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Message smilies by Mazeguy