The Haa of Tangwick was built in the late 17th century for the Cheyne family. The Cheynes owned land in different parts of Shetland, including Tangwick in Eshaness. The building was in three storeys, though it is believed the attics were never partitioned.
The last resident laird, John Cheyne, died in 1840. Thereafter, the family was based in Edinburgh, but came regularly to Tangwick to stay, and kept a caretaker there. The building fell into disrepair earlier this century and was restored as a museum by Shetland Amenity Trust, using labour provided under the Manpower Services Commission Scheme.
Northmavine History Group, in conjunction with Tangwick Haa Museum trust, is responsible for the running of the Museum. Different aspects of life in Northmavine through the years are illustrated by using a mixture of photographs and artefacts.
Share this article