AboutBritain.com Logo

The Stewartry Museum

St. Mary Street
Kirkcudbright
Dumfries and Galloway
DG6 4AQ

The Stewartry Museum was founded in 1879, and first occupied part of Kirkcudbright Town Hall. As the collections grew, the present purpose-built museum was opened in 1893.

In recent years the museum interior has been considerably upgraded, whilst retaining its charm as traditional late Victorian museum. Its collections chiefly relate to the human and natural history of the Stewartry also known as Kirkcudbrightshire (the eastern half of Galloway).

The permanent collection includes the "Siller Gun" - Britain's earliest surviving sporting trophy, and works by Kirkcudbrightshire artists including Jessie M King.

Temporary exhibitions highlight different aspects of the collection and Museums Service activities.

Share this article




Directions


The Stewartry Museum Postcode for SatNav: DG6 4AQ

Contact

 
Tel:
+44 (0)1557 331 643
Email:











Things To Do near The Stewartry Museum



Places to Visit near The Stewartry Museum



Also near The Stewartry Museum


Bed and Breakfast:
 
 10 Miles
 
Self Catering:
 
 <1 Mile
 
 5 Miles
 
 5 Miles
 
Campsites:
 
 2 Miles
 
 4 Miles
 
 5 Miles
 


Copyright © 1999-2017 Excelsior Information Systems Ltd. All rights reserved.
About Us  Press Room  Terms of Use  Privacy  Link to Us  Index  Site Map  Contact Us

Made with Responsive Grid System by Graham Miller