AboutBritain.com Logo

Moot Hall

Elstow Green
Church End
Elstow
Bedfordshire
MK42 9XT

Elstow Moot Hall (or Green House as it was formerly known) was built in the late 15th century as a market-house in connection with the village fairs. It was used for storing the stalls and other equipment and as a place for hearing disputes arising from the fairs.

In the 19th century the upper room was used both as a school and a place of worship. Restored by Bedfordshire County Council, Moot Hall is now a museum illustrating 17th century English life and tradition.

The stump of a cross, damaged during the Reformation, marks the site on Elstow Green where the Annual May Fair used to be held. It was also on the green that John Bunyan danced and joined in games of tip-cat; a form of rounders played with a stick rather than a ball.

Displays about local and Bedfordshire heritage from the County Archives can be seen.

You can also visit the historic Elstow Abbey next door - famous for its connection to John Bunyan.

Share this article




Directions

Half a mile north of the A421/A6 junction. Follow the brown heritage signs 'Moot Hall and Elstow Abbey'.

Moot Hall Postcode for SatNav: MK42 9XT

Contact

 
Tel:
+44 (0)1234 266 889
Email:
Web:











Things To Do near Moot Hall



Places to Visit near Moot Hall



Also near Moot Hall


Bed and Breakfast:
 
 2 Miles
 
 4 Miles
 
 4 Miles
 
Self Catering:
 
 6 Miles
 
 6 Miles
 
 13 Miles
 
Campsites:
 
 18 Miles
 
 20 Miles
 
 22 Miles
 


Copyright © 1999-2017 Excelsior Information Systems Ltd. All rights reserved.
About Us  Press Room  Terms of Use  Privacy  Link to Us  Index  Site Map  Contact Us

Made with Responsive Grid System by Graham Miller