In 1846-7 John Knox House was saved for Scotland by the Free Church and the Society of Antiquaries, and established as a national memorial. John Knox House has been the outstanding building in Edinburgh's historic Netherbow for over five hundred years. Now the modern and medieval buildings are to be linked as The Scottish Storytelling Centre, responding to the needs of visitors and school groups in a devolved Scotland.
After the current renovations the John Knox Museum interpretation will be enhanced, the reception area expanded, and a new schools and education centre provided in the adjacent buildings. The improved Museum will tell the story of Knox and Mary Queen of Scots, but it will also explain the importance of John Knox to Scotland at a time of political, social and religious change.
John Knox House is a jewel in the crown of Scotland's national heritage. Originally the residence of James Mosman, goldsmith to Mary Queen of Scots, the house was made available to John Knox during the defence of Edinburgh Castle by Mary's supporters. It is likely that Knox died there in 1572 still urging the Castle's downfall and defeat.
Share this article