AboutBritain.com Logo

Dyffryn Gardens

St Nicholas
Cardiff
South Wales
CF5 6SU

The story of Dyffryn Estate dates back to the 7th century A.D. when the then Manor of Worlton was given to Bishop Oudoceous of Llandaf. In the 16th century the manor was acquired by the Button family and the first house was built. The family occupied the estate for a number generations and it is said that they still do to this day as the ghost of Admiral Sir Thomas Button haunts the grounds of the estate!

The name was changed to Dyffryn St. Nicholas in the 18th century when the estate was sold to Thomas Pryce, who built the first building to be known as Dyffryn House. In 1891 the estate was sold to John Cory, who built the present house in 1893. Later Thomas Mawson, a well known landscape architect, (and first president of the Institute of Landscape Architecture), was commissioned to design a garden to complement this magnificent new house.

After John Cory's death in 1910, the estate went to his third son Reginald, a leading figure in the RHS. He was a keen horticulturalist and plant collector who during the early 1900s jointly sponsored several world-wide plant hunting expeditions. Many of the plants on display at Dyffryn exist as a direct result of these forays, the most outstanding being Acer griseum (Paper Bark Maple) grown from seed brought back from China by the famous plant hunter Ernest Wilson.

In 1939 the then owner Sir Cennydd Traherne leased the estate on a 999 year lease to Glamorgan County Council. These Grade 1 listed gardens are now owned and managed by the Vale of Glamorgan Council and are being restored with help from the Heritage Lottery Fund.


General Information:

  • Visitors centre
  • Shop for gifts and plant sales
  • Tearooms and play area
  • Courtesy wheelchairs available (please call ahead to book)
  • Toilet facilities
  • Share this article





    More Pictures


    Directions

    Exit the M4 at junction 33, on to the A4232 (signposted Barry), and at the roundabout take the first exit (A4232), At the junction with the A48/A4050 exit the A4232 and at the Culverhouse Cross roundabout take the fourth exit A48 (signposted Cowbridge). Turn left at the lights in St Nicholas village and Dyffryn is on the right about 1.5 miles.

    Dyffryn Gardens Postcode for SatNav: CF5 6SU

    Contact

     
    Tel:
    +44 (0)2920 593 328
    Fax:
    +44 (0)2920 591 966
    Web:











    Things To Do near Dyffryn Gardens



    Places to Visit near Dyffryn Gardens



    Also near Dyffryn Gardens


    Bed and Breakfast:
     
     3 Miles
     
     4 Miles
     
     5 Miles
     
    Self Catering:
     
     5 Miles
     
     7 Miles
     
     15 Miles
     
    Campsites:
     
     5 Miles
     
     6 Miles
     
     15 Miles
     


    Copyright © 1999-2017 Excelsior Information Systems Ltd. All rights reserved.
    About Us  Press Room  Terms of Use  Privacy  Link to Us  Index  Site Map  Contact Us

    Made with Responsive Grid System by Graham Miller