Burghley house is the largest and grandest of the first Elizabethan Age. Built and mostly designed by William Cecil, Lord High Treasurer of England, between 1555 and 1587, the house is a family home for his descendants to this day. At present the House is occupied by, Mrs Miranda Rock direct descendent of William Cecil, Lord Burghley. Mrs Rock took over from her mother, Lady Victoria Leatham, as House Director in 2007.
The State Rooms
There are eighteen State Rooms, including many decorated by Antonio Verrio in the 17th century
, housing a huge collection of great works of art, including one of the most important private collections of 17th century Italian paintings, the earliest inventoried collection of Japanese ceramics in the West, rare examples of European porcelain, and wood carvings by Grinling Gibbons and his followers. There are also four magnificent State Beds, fine examples of English and continental furniture and important tapestries and textiles.
Burghley is an Elizabethan house and its garden would have looked very different at the time of its completion, from its present appearance. In 1623 the park and gardens occupied 448 acres but in 1796 a great new intake brought the total acreage up to 1,400 acres which necessitated extending the Park wall by 3 miles. This is the wall that can be seen from the A1. Capability Brown
was employed to landscape the Park. He also constructed the 22 acre lake and in 1775, the Lion Bridge.
General Information: Gift shop
Chair lifts to State Rooms and restaurant (please call for further information).
Share this article